Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you call this allin bet?
Yes 45 26.95%
No 122 73.05%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Veal

Went to a fancy restaurant tonight. I had veal for the first time, which is referred to by some people as "chained up and tortured baby cow".

Specifics:

Every year, approximately one million calves are confined in crates measuring just two feet wide. They are chained by the neck to restrict all movement, making it impossible for them to turn around, stretch, or even lie down comfortably. This severe confinement makes the calves' meat "tender" since the animals muscles cannot develop.

Published scientific research indicates that calves confined in crates experience "chronic stress" and require approximately five times more medication than calves living in more spacious conditions. It is not surprising then, that veal is among the most likely meat to contain illegal drug residues which pose a threat to human health.

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/dairy_and_veal.asp

I really liked the meal. Still I'm not sure how I feal about the incredibly inhuman conditions used to create veal.

So:
Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Veal

Jesus Christ.

WTF is up with all of these stupid animal rights threads. Have these replaced the numerous "how do I talk to girls" threads?

Anyway, shut up you wuss and eat your meat.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:20 AM

Veal is tasty.

Veal is wrong.

Veal is tasy.

Its funny, veal is an afterthought---all these extra calves, what to do with them...why not create a market for veal?

Veal is tasty.

But yes, I share your ambivalence.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:21 AM

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:26 AM

Wacki, I will hold off on what I would like to post simply because it's you. Think of this though, those animals would not exist if they were not for veal; It's not like they are ruining an otherwise enjoyable life for an animal. Furthermore, animals have neither reason nor self-awareness, thus we can infer that unless something is being done that is physically painful to them, this treatment is acceptable from even the most compassionate standpoints if taken at a purely scientifc level.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wacki, I will hold off on what I would like to post simply because it's you. Think of this though, those animals would not exist if they were not for veal; It's not like they are ruining an otherwise enjoyable life for an animal. Furthermore, animals have neither reason nor self-awareness, thus we can infer that unless something is being done that is physically painful to them, this treatment is acceptable from even the most compassionate standpoints if taken at a purely scientifc level.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow buster how is this treatment not physically painful? not to mention, what if we had people farms and these people made organs that we used? is that okay because these people wouldn't have existed otherwise?
Old 05-21-2005, 03:29 AM

Hearing how they are treated, saddens me and if I saw it in person I would be bothered. That being said, I'm not going to stop eating veil. If that makes me hypocrite then so be it.

Stories of war also bother and sadden me, but I do not plan on becoming a pacifist.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:30 AM

Bruiser, STOP.

You eat chicken and dairy products yourself. Animals have to suffer for your food too.

You're like Ted Bundy telling people that murder is wrong and that they shouldn't do it.

I never said that animals don't suffer for my food. But I am okay with them suffering so that I can enjoy it. I'm sure that they're fine with it, too.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:30 AM

here is another interesting thing about veal. pink veal tastes the same as all other veal but getsa better price so veal factories make pink veal. the way to do this is to not let them eat any iron and make them anemic. they can't use iron bars to hold the animal in the crate because he's so desperate for iron that he starts licking the bars to get it.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:33 AM

dead we are just talking here, i am not calling anyone a bad person for how they personally deal with these issues.