Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Gives trouble to me, that KQ does....

I just watched Stars Wars 3 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

SB (t3105)
BB (t1095)
UTG (t985)
MP1 (t1475)
MP2 (t740)
Hero (t1035)
Button (t1565)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t125, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t350) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets 1000.
Hero?

And this:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t890)
MP1 (t2500)
MP2 (t905)
CO (t1095)
Button (t1270)
SB (t570)
Hero (t1335)
UTG (t1435)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t225) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero check raises?

-EV
Old 05-20-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Gives trouble to me, that KQ does....

With many opponents (i.e. early levels of an SNG), KQ is uber-challenging to play in a raised pot. Muck most of the time the pot is raised to you, and for the sake of Pedro, don't raise the pot yourself with it.

--Z
Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 AM

Hand #1:

I insta-call. I am almost never beat when someone overbets a pot like this against me. I have to have a player note that they are capable of playing a set this way before i fold. I would call and expect to see a weak king, str8 draw or under pocket pair (or nothing). Is is important to tell us how the guy got that large stack, did he trap with big hands or is he a maniac? If either of those are true, the call is 100% IMHO.

Hand #2

Ya, I would likely checkraise the flop all-in if he threw out a pot-sized bet. The only hands that beat you are the least likely ones for him to have. You want him to have AA/AK here. The other option I might do is smooth call the flop and push the turn if a safe card hits (ie. no A or J).

Good luck,
McBandit/Daddys_visa
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With many opponents (i.e. early levels of an SNG), KQ is uber-challenging to play in a raised pot. Muck most of the time the pot is raised to you, and for the sake of Pedro, don't raise the pot yourself with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feeling is that this is pretty buy-in dependent. At lower levels where people will routinely overplay top pair weak kicker, and will play K9 and the like for a raise as a matter of course, KQ is almost as good as AQ (in my opinion). Against tighter opposition that isn't likely to pay me off with worse kickers I'd probably get more tentative with KQ.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 AM

I bet out in the second hand. I think I could get raised here, and that flop scares me, giving up a free card wouldn't be good.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:02 AM

Yeah...this was 20+2...i was 4 tabling/eating/aiming/2+2ing/making a card castle, so no reads...

-EV
Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 AM

#1: i agree with mcpherzen...don't mind the coming in from CO in an unopened pot (i'd actually fold), but i don't like the raise.

taking a look at the flop regardless:

what does he beat you with? AA,KK,AK, set, 2-pair

with your broke ass raising into him ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), there's no way he's not puttin you in PF with either of the 1st four.

likewise, if he hit 2-pair, he's letting the PF raiser hit the pot on that non-drawin board.

i think he was a little defiant...calling w/K10ish. flopped TP and hammered it. i call.

#2: no problem calling on a monster draw hand like that. i'm curious if you had a LA read on PF raiser chip dog? minraise from MP is a little suspicious. you holding a K and Q, makes KK/QQ less likely. that only leaves AJ or TT. a minraise w/ TT doesn't seem plausable IMO. AJ? maybe. no flush draw on board, and despite all the paint...i think the check-raise is a good move. if he doesn't bite, i'm hitting the turn hard - anything between T400 and push.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:07 AM

It's a call for the first hand and check-call push on any safe card for the second one.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:45 AM

I call the first hand...I don't like doing it but I will. I just can't see anything that beats you thinking he'll get action by betting 3x pot. So I grit my teeth and call.

The 2nd hand I figure this. I ignore being up against a set because I have 2 pair. I worry about the other guy having Ax (where x is a K,Q,or J)...I worry but I'm gonna risk his drawing out because I think I can get him to double me up. And I think it will be worth the risk. So, I check, call the flop. I bet the turn about 1/2 pot if he checks behind on the flop. I check the turn if he bet the flop when I checked it to him. If the action goes check,bet,call on the flop. It will go check, bet , push if the opponent obliges. If he checks behind on the turn after I check call him on the flop, I'll put in an ambigious value/steal bet in on the river.

Over all I think if it possible for me to get any action at all I can double up if I risk a 4 (maybe 6) outer type draw against me. If the opponent has something like 77 and won't put a dime more in the pot I'm only risking a 2 outer if he takes the free card.

I think I will generate enough doubt in a players head to get them commited to a hand like AK,AQ, or AA.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:45 AM

The first one should be an easy call against most online opponents.