Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Phil Ivey needs his own website

I mean, come on. In the poker world, where no one can agree on supporting any player (Hellmuth sucks! Hellmuth is awesome! Negreanu sucks! Negreanu is awesome!) Everyone, from amateurs to top tier pros, seems to think Phil Ivey is, scientifically speaking, the sh!t.

How cool would it be to hear the story of a kid who worked his way from the low limit stud games in AC to perhaps the winningest player of the last few years in poker? Not to mention trip reports from someone who plays 4k/8k up to 70 hours a week. I mean, some publicist should be all over this, because, in my opinion, Phil is a helluva lot more marketable than Daniel or anybody else. Even if he's not the best, he still gets my vote for coolest f-cker in the game.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey needs his own website

Frankly I'm worried that once we get him talking all that with all the pent up silence from the table we would never get him to be quiet again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil is a helluva lot more marketable than Daniel or anybody else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha? He's like Huck Seed - he avoids press and attention. He's certainly not the kind of guy who's about to paste his own mug on a set of poker chips

And quite frankly, I think that's a breath of fresh air in a poker world that would probably jump at the chance to market an Evelyn Ng Fart-In-a-Jar.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's certainly not the kind of guy who's about to paste his own mug on a set of poker chips

[/ QUOTE ]

thx dude, i was looking all over for those. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

joking aside, most of us here woulda done it for free.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn Ng Fart-In-a-Jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take 5.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn Ng Fart-In-a-Jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll take 10, requesting video proof that it's actually her fart, not daniel negreanu's. i hate the smell of tofu.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:06 AM

Maybe he doesn't want to end up looking like antonio.

So nice to see someone who isn't all about self promotion. Just shows up and plays his cards, doesn't yap, roll on the floor when he gets sucked out on, run over to high-five the audience when he drags a big pot....

I understand that if everyone played this way, the WPT would lose half it's audience, but I'd rather watch a final table consisting of Ivey, Lederer, Brunson, Greenstein, Reese and the like than one populated by Hellmuth, wave-boy, Laak, Ellix, Randy Jensen, etc....
Old 05-19-2005, 10:11 AM

Phil is a GREAT player, but he's not that marketable IMO. Daniel has the nice guy act down pretty good and comes across as very accessible and amiable. We all know why Phil H. is marketable...he's entertaining with his ranting and raving.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 AM

Phil Ivey is the Chris Benoit of the poker world. Awesome at what he does, but seemingly no charisma and weak interview skills. To the midcard you!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:52 AM

Beyond his sheer talent, I think a large degree of Phil's mystique comes from the fact that he ISN'T readily accessible and seemingly has no desire to become so. I, for one, hope that doesn't change.