Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Screw the bump feature

Out of the last 30 threads on this board, 16 have 2 replies or less and 10 have zero.

10 threads have zero replies? And 16 have 2 or less? WTF is wrong w/ this picture?

Ryan_21
Old 12-05-2002, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Screw the bump feature

Agreed. The new system causes the same threads to have reply after reply, while new posts get buried underneath. Under the old system, the interesting threads got the most replies. Under the new system, the longest threads get the most replies.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:56 PM

It's got nothing to do with "new" or "old" threads. Those threads that are intersting enough to generate discussion or debate remain at the forefront as they should, while those that nobody cares enough about to respond to disappear as they should. It's not my fault that nobody likes your threads. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Irish
Old 12-05-2002, 02:01 PM

Wrong. What you are seeing is just how many more responses the more popular and interesting threads would get if only they didn't get buried under useless drivel.

Your analogy is overlooking the obvious: The interesting threads still get the most replies. This causes them to become longer. Hence your necessarily true statement "the longest threads get the most replies." I mean.....can the shortest threads get the most replies?

Besides, isn't it easier for you and M to drag up the same old Israel-Palestine thread and respond with "see my post above" rather than typing the same thing over and over two or three times a month when someone starts a new rehash?
Old 12-05-2002, 02:03 PM

It's got nothing to do with "new" or "old" threads. Those threads that are intersting enough to generate discussion or debate remain at the forefront as they should, while those that nobody cares enough about to respond to disappear as they should. It's not my fault that nobody likes your threads.

Whats the matter Irish, you don't like people who point out poor analagies? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Actually, on the first page, a post I started has the most replies of any of the posts, but there are several others, as Ryan pointed out, which have zero replies. This is not simply because they are new or uninteresting, its because people log on, see the same thread on top, and are too lazy to see if there are any new, smaller threads down below. If a thread is truly interesting, it doesn't matter where you put it, people will make the effort to scroll down and see if there are any new responses. They wont make the same effort for a thread which they aren't even aware exists.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:05 PM

Whats the matter Irish, you don't like people who point out poor analagies?

No - I don't like people who can't spell. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2002, 02:07 PM

Besides, isn't it easier for you and M to drag up the same old Israel-Palestine thread and respond with "see my post above" rather than typing the same thing over and over two or three times a month when someone starts a new rehash?

Sure that would be easy, but believe it or not I get tired of that topic and would like to discuss other things. I'd like to see new topics get some attention; like I said in response to Irish, interesting threads will get responses whether they are at the top or the bottom of the page, but if you put a new thread at the bottom nobody will look at it.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:08 PM

"while those that nobody cares enough about to respond to disappear as they should."

How can anybody care about them if they dont know about them?

When a new post gets buried to the bottom really fast, nobody ever gets a chance to read it.

"It's not my fault that nobody likes your threads."

I don't know if that insult was aimed at me or b-man, but my threads seem to do fine, the point of my concern had nothing to do w/ my individual threads, but more for the board as a whole, b/c when posters decide to stop posting new threads b/c nobody ever reads them and they get buried so quickly then their will be hardly any new original threads started by new posters, it will be the same ol crap by the same ol posters.

I just think the bump feature is going to stunt the growth of the forum and stunt the growth of new posters.

Ryan_21
Old 12-05-2002, 02:08 PM

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would be brilliant.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:10 PM

Default Well said *N/M*