Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Revenge of the Sith...

....did anyone know that the original name of "Return of the Jedi" was "Revenge of the Jedi".

The name did not make the final cut because "they" felt it would kill the entire Ewok good feel ending that the movie had. They changed it to Return of the Jedi.

Moving forward 22 years, I can understand why "they" renamed the movie to Return of the Jedi. I hope the movie Revenge of the Sith, earns its name and has a good plot and ties all of the loose pieces together.

Hard to believe, that I saw the movie Star Wars in the movie theater as a boy. As a man I look forward to seeing Revenge of the Sith with the same enthusiasm as I had as a 14 year old who wanted to see The Empire Strikes Back.

..anyone else care to discuss their thoughts/feelings?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Revenge of the Sith...

If I wasn't so uncertain about my travel plans for Vegas I'd be going to see this opening night. I don't care what critics say, I'm excited about seeing this movie.

Gavin
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 PM

when I was a boy, I asked my mom to take me to see Star Wars - she took me to see "A Star is Born" - (apparenly my pronounciation wasn't that good at age 5) -

I finally saw it in '79 - read the comics - cried when i couldn't see the May 25th, 1983 premiere of Return of the Jedi the first day.

(It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge")

showed up for midnight premieres for the first and second one (had an inside acquaintence who was a big prop builder) - and wore a borrowed costume as a death star gunner for the 2nd one -

Bought the Clone Wars DVD and watched the last 5 episodes online

AND I notice stuff like Lucas changing the special edition again so that the Emperor tells Vader that Luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker -

suffice it to say I kick ass at Star Wars trivial pursuit

to say that I'm excited about seeing this movie is an understatement - however, I've read so many spoilers, at this point I'll make it till after the weekend rush.

RB
Old 05-16-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AND I notice stuff like Lucas changing the special edition again so that the Emperor tells Vader that Luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker -

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...wouldn't Vader just put two and two together realizing that Luke's last name is Skywalker?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge"

[/ QUOTE ]

That and it was also used as a technique to fight counterfeit merchandise. Early unauthorized merchandise had the "Revenge" title. When the "Return" name change was made, those products were caught red-handed.

There were some authorized "Revenge" products too.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 PM

USA Today's review.. a 3.5 of four and comments about how Lucas "finally hit his mark" with the new releases has me in uber nerd mode.... I have tickets with friends for noon on Thursday... I hope I can hold out
Old 05-17-2005, 12:02 AM

i actually saw george lucas talk about this first hand on video. its on the extended video on disc 2 of episode II.

he says the reason why he didn't name it revenge of the jedi is because jedi's do not seek revenge. its not in the demeanor.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh...wouldn't Vader just put two and two together realizing that Luke's last name is Skywalker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh Vader already knows... all masters of the force know
Old 05-17-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when I was a boy, I asked my mom to take me to see Star Wars - she took me to see "A Star is Born" - (apparenly my pronounciation wasn't that good at age 5) -

I finally saw it in '79 - read the comics - cried when i couldn't see the May 25th, 1983 premiere of Return of the Jedi the first day.

(It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge")

showed up for midnight premieres for the first and second one (had an inside acquaintence who was a big prop builder) - and wore a borrowed costume as a death star gunner for the 2nd one -

Bought the Clone Wars DVD and watched the last 5 episodes online

suffice it to say I kick ass at Star Wars trivial pursuit

to say that I'm excited about seeing this movie is an understatement - however, I've read so many spoilers, at this point I'll make it till after the weekend rush.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

A heads-up Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game might be in order.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding, BTW, that Lucas changed the title because Jedi don't take "revenge"

[/ QUOTE ]

That and it was also used as a technique to fight counterfeit merchandise. Early unauthorized merchandise had the "Revenge" title. When the "Return" name change was made, those products were caught red-handed.

There were some authorized "Revenge" products too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a "Revenge of the Jedi" sow-on-badge (80's stylee [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). No idea whether it was legit, or what happened to it..... shame.