Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 AM

Default How to play the Nuts

Not really sure if I played this correctly. Read on the villian is that he is a bit of a donkey. He probably reads me as a loose aggressive player, but I have been showing down the nuts when people have called me.

Party $50NL

Hero is UTG + 2 ~ $100
Villian is BB ~ $60

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian calls BB. Hero calls BB.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets $5. Villian calls.

Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks. Villain bets $10. Hero?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: How to play the Nuts

ok donkey can mean lots of things, depends on his style, call and CR the river or..

min raise and put him all in on the river
Old 05-16-2005, 09:59 AM

on the turn, i'd have made a 1/3rd pot bet (after a medium pause) like i'm worried about the flush and checking to see if he has it. this will get raised 75% of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 11:00 AM

Hey man -

The action in this hand doesn't make any sense.

If Villain is BB, villain acts before the Hero on the flop and the turn, right?

If Villain is not BB, then who calls first preflop?

Given all of this, it makes sense that neither you nor villain is BB -- so is there a third player in the hand?

It's hard to put someone on a hand when you don't know what position they're in and what they did preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-dB
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM

I don't like minraising at all here. You overbet the flop, $5 into a $1 pot if I remember correctly. He called. Either he's absolutely terrible or he has a powerful hand. You check, he makes what seems like a "protecting his hand" bet. I love a push here after going into the tank for 5-10 seconds. Massive overbets cause a lot of suspicion at these levels. If he flopped a set, he's very likely to call your overbet, convincing himself that even if you have the flush, he has outs. He also views you as a LAG, so you could easily be doing this with a naked Ad in his mind. I think your push is going to get called a great deal of the time here. Minraising gives him odds to call with a set, if you consider implied odds and tells him EXACTLY what you have. People that minraise here are the kind of people that I LOVE playing against. I fold anything that's drawing dead and call when I have plenty of outs because I know I can stack the kind of person that minraises here.

Edit: I don't like checking the turn at all.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 AM

You're all wrong. Value call your nuts.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like minraising at all here. You overbet the flop, $5 into a $1 pot if I remember correctly. He called. Either he's absolutely terrible or he has a powerful hand. You check, he makes what seems like a "protecting his hand" bet. I love a push here after going into the tank for 5-10 seconds. Massive overbets cause a lot of suspicion at these levels. If he flopped a set, he's very likely to call your overbet, convincing himself that even if you have the flush, he has outs. He also views you as a LAG, so you could easily be doing this with a naked Ad in his mind. I think your push is going to get called a great deal of the time here. Minraising gives him odds to call with a set, if you consider implied odds and tells him EXACTLY what you have. People that minraise here are the kind of people that I LOVE playing against. I fold anything that's drawing dead and call when I have plenty of outs because I know I can stack the kind of person that minraises here.

Edit: I don't like checking the turn at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, left out a few details. Too early in the morning to recall all the specifics [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This was a 6 max table with 3 additional limpers. Don't remember the stack sizes of the other players because they aren't terriby relevant. I have them all covered.

Other players fold after the flop. Villain cold calls.

On the turn, I check to induce a bluff. He leads out for $10, I reraise the minimum and am pretty sure I've got him beat flush over flush. He comes over the top all-in.

I call.

River is a 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian shows J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MHIG.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:51 AM

Still hate the minraise. It's actually making my skin crawl, lol. I lead the turn strongly. At these limits I make almost no effort to disguise my hand, which really means that I'm disguising it perfectly. 85-95% of NL $50 players on Party will check/minraise here quite often.

With the check on the turn, if you push, he's calling you with the flush regardless. If he has two pair/boat, you're making him pay to outdraw you. He's very likely to think you're trying to bully him. Sidenote: When I stopped checkraising/minraising almost entirely (at this level), my BB/100 shot through the roof.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still hate the minraise. It's actually making my skin crawl, lol. I lead the turn strongly. At these limits I make almost no effort to disguise my hand, which really means that I'm disguising it perfectly. 85-95% of NL $50 players on Party will check/minraise here quite often.

With the check on the turn, if you push, he's calling you with the flush regardless. If he has two pair/boat, you're making him pay to outdraw you. He's very likely to think you're trying to bully him. Sidenote: When I stopped checkraising/minraising almost entirely (at this level), my BB/100 shot through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe its b/c its too early in the morning. but i'm not sure i'm too clear on what aggressively leading out on the turn will accomplish.

if he has 2 pair or a set, leading out on the turn strongly seems to indicate that i've hit something hard and he's more likely to fold.

in this case, he's getting it all in regardless, but i wanted to give him a chance to hang himself with his aggressiveness.

the way i see it is if i lead out for $20 on the turn, if he has 2 pair, he's likely to fold on a flush board. if i check and then check raise, he's more likely to push. but then again, i haven't had much sleep and i'm probably wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 11:57 AM

If this really is how the hand played out (impossible if Villain really is BB), then I call the turn and then lead the river.