Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 PM

Default UB 33 TEC - First hand disaster........

Firstly, this NOT a bad beat story.... I have gotten to the point that while I don't relish suck-outs, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I realize the decision making process is what is important, and proper play is rewarded in the long run. I am looking for confirmation of my thought process.....

First hand UB 33+3 TEC Single Table Tourney. 1-3 pay a TEC, "worth" $100 Tourney Entry Fee.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter

SB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
UTG+2 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (Villain) (t1500)
Button (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (Villain) raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

My thoughts: JT suited is a good hand out of the blinds, I have plenty of chips, and I do not want opponents stealing my blinds w/ regularity. Since this is a HU pot, it presents an opportunity to establish a degree of table image, and presumably, the other 8 players are taking note of this. Further, the range of hands which will raise in CO is wide, given the folds...... Anywhere from a premium pair down through ????? Thoughts, comments ?

Flop: (t150) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

BINGO !!!! This is a VERY good flop for my hand, obviously......

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, Villain calls t120.

My thoughts: I am looking to make a bet which indicates I have hit the flop, but that I am vulnerable, and would like to take the pot down now...... Villain , if he calls is getting just over 2:1 on his call, and if he is playing two overs, is 3:1 against. If he has an overpair, I expect a raise, either now, or on the turn. Also cannot discount the possibility that Villain has picked up a straight draw, and I plan on closing the hand out on the turn, if it bricks.... Thoughts, Comments ?

Turn: (t390) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

....... Perfect !!!

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>,

My thoughts: bet slightly over 1/2 the pot, as the Villain again has an opportunity to chase overs or straight or attempt to steal.... or cash in Premium pair...... Again, I am looking to represent a probe bet holding a piece of flop, smallish pp, straight draw, etc.... Thoughts, Comments ?

<font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t700</font>,

.... the trap is sprung !!!

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1315</font>(All-in), <font color="#CC3333">Villain calls t615</font>(All-in).

River: (t3010) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3010

Results in white:
<font color="white">Villain shows J hearts J spades....and I am out. </font>

Please critique my play. I do not feel I could get away from this hand, post flop, and I believe my meta-game reasons for calling pre-flop were rational....

Look forward to your comments....

peace, mondo

P.S. I realize this was not a suck-out (see above) , I really just wanted to make the point this is not a results-oriented "whining session".... I am asking for constructive criticism on my thought process.... Thank you.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: UB 33 TEC - First hand disaster........

Meh, it doesnt really matter what your thought process is. This was bound to be a fiasco, no matter how you play it, you are getting broke.

Preflop: Villain is BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
5 folds, CO (Villain) raises to t70, 2 folds, Hero calls t50.

Villians thoughts: JJ is a good hand in the cutoff

Flop: (t150) 4, T, J (2 players)

BINGO !!!! This is a VERY VERY VERY good flop for villains hand, obviously......

Hero bets t120, Villain calls t120.

Villians thoughts: Yay! some sucker has gotten enough of this flop to lead into me. Awesome! I better not screw up and scare him off. I want him thinking i have like, 2 overs or something. Im best just calling him, "give 'em enough rope..."

Turn: (t390) 3 (2 players)

....... Perfect !!!

Hero bets t225,

Villains thoughts: This chum(p) bets slightly over 1/2 the pot, what is this some kind of a probe bet? That 3 could not have helped him. I think I'm gonna pop him now, while he still may be drawing.

Villain raises to t700,

.... the trap is sprung !!!

Hero raises to t1315(All-in), Villain calls t615(All-in).

River: (t3010) K (2 players)

Final Pot: t3010

BB shows J clubss T clubs....and I double up ! Deadly. Like moths to a flame, its a good day in villain land.

Edit: Im just jokeing around dude, i woulda played it more or less like you, and i too woulda had my ass handed to me. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 04:25 PM

I think it was played just fine.

His reraise on the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] had to have you wondering. Could this card possibly help a 3.5xbb raiser?

It certainly wouldn't made a second pair (not raising w/ 3x). I would have to conclude he too was trapping. But with what?
An overpair is just as likely as trips - although a little riskier IMO to 'give' you the turn. Would he not reraise me on the flop w/ AJ? Trips does make more sense, but then there's the off chance that he is NOW representing his raise and his subsequent *missed* flop.

You can only make this move if you think he is bluffing or has the overs. I'm curious what your read was?

Tough call, it really is - but I'd have done the same i suppose.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:48 PM

In an 800 chip game I certainly wouldn't have called preflop.

JTs is better to not be HU, IMO, because you don't want to play unless you hit better than top pair anyway.

I don't mind if people think that they can take my blinds early. When the blinds get bigger, I will come over the top once or twice and they will change their minds.

Anyway, with more chips, preflop might be fine, and I think everything post-flop is fine.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Big Limpin'.... lmao.... very well done.... as you say, I played the chump in Villain-land [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Do you like the preflop call ?

Post-flop, probability would dictate that JJ and/or TT is less likely, based on my holding..... only 1 way to make either, leaving my only real flop fear a set of fours.... Were I to put him on that hand, aren't I guilty of "seeing monsters...." ????

Hand Distribution: (Post Flop)

AA 6 ways
KK 6 ways
QQ 6 ways
JJ 1 way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
TT 1 way etc....

AK 16 ways
AQ 16 ways
AJ 8 ways
AT 8 ways
KQ 16 ways
KJ 8 ways
KT 8 ways etc......

In retrospect I think I got what I was looking for, a big "move" on the turn, which I was looking for after 2 "weak" bets, and unfortunately, ran into the DeathStar...... (Star Wars hype is infectious [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])

Thanks for taking the time to comment...

peace, mondo
Old 05-15-2005, 05:30 PM

MicroBet,

Starting stacks were 1500, I had posted 20 BB, and had to call 50 into a 100 pot, thus getting 2:1 on my call with JT "soooooooted"..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

50 chips is roughly 3.5 % of my stack, but my implied odds are huge if I hit, no ?

BTW, I just ran PokerStove...... w/ a range of AA-TT, Any Broadway for my opponent, I am almost exactly 2:1 against.

As the range widens to include smaller pps, my equity increases...... and against a "random" hand (i.e. blind steal), I am actually a 3:2 favorite.... interesting....

Thanks for comments.....

peace, mondo
Old 05-15-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like the preflop call ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As microbet said, its a pretty steep price in a 800 chip game. I really dont know much about the 800 game, but for me, in a 1500 (which i thought UB was?) im probably still inclined to let it go.

As you said, JTs is good hand from the blinds, but its much better in a multiway pot than HU...its way more likely you flop a draw than a made hand, so you want to have a couple ppl giving you odds.

But whatever, its not gonna kill you.

One you see that flop though, you are bound to get broke
Old 05-15-2005, 06:18 PM

I seem to recall Sklansky stating that you should call a raise HU w/ any pp, any Broadway, any suited connector... I'll have to check my facts.....

I understand the multi-way "draw"-esqueness of JTs..... and the implied odds of flopping a draw against multiple opponents. Against a single opponent, isn't there "additional" equity if you hit the flop ??

If I hit a J/T on the flop, I have to evaluate the texture of the flop, and the relative strength of the other flop cards...... but since you/opponent are likely to miss the flop 2/3 of the time, post-flop would leave you fearing only higher PPs..... QQ, KK, AA.....

Which begs the question, if you hit only one of your cards, what is your course of action ?

As you said, when I saw the flop I was going broke..... this time...... against a lot of other holdings I do alright.

Thanks for your input.

peace, mondo

P.S. Being the first hand of the tourney didn't help.... if I had to do it all over again, I think I would !!!

BTW, "Villain" went on to win the tourney..'spose doubling up w/ my chips on the first hand was NOT an impediment [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]