Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2002, 08:54 PM

Default 10-20: Raising on every street?

I'm in LP with A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

MP player open raises. He doesn't qualify as a maniac, but can get a little over aggressive sometimes. MP2 calls and I 3 bet. Everyone else folds. MP and MP2 call.

Flop: K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

MP bets, MP2 folds and I raise. MP calls.

Turn: [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

MP leads into me again. I raise again. I'm reasonably confident that he has a K with a face card kicker.

River: [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

MP leads into me again! Maybe he hit his kicker. Maybe I misread him. Maybe he really is a maniac. Who raises for a 4th time, who calls?

Results to follow.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:37 PM

Default Bump

I hate to do this, but I'm bumping this to the top. It got burried so far right after I posted it that no one even read it. If no one responds, that's one thing, I just want to let some people read it.

This is the kind of thing that inspired my post on the news, views, and gossip forum about the new format.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:39 PM

Default Re: 10-20: Raising on every street?

You can't raise him again. You've told him what you have by your turn raise, and he's betting into you again. I put him on KJ.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Bump

Be patient. You only made this post a couple hours ago. People will read and respond to it.

Your opponent seems to be saying he can beat AA but I'd usually raise the river anyway. He'll definitely call and be hardpressed to 3-bet.

Old 12-01-2002, 11:45 PM

Yeah, I should be more patient, you are right.

I don't mind if no one responds (well, I don't like that either). I was just concerned that only 6 people had read it and it was burried under 7 or 8 other posts.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:05 AM

I would just call the river here. If he's betting into you on the end, I suspect he's got you beat. Babe
Old 12-02-2002, 12:06 AM

I hate this too. Way back when (only 5 days ago) I thought this was a bug. Maybe this feature can be made optional.

Another case of not being careful of what you wish for.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:10 AM

This hand seems pretty straight-forward to me. The logical read suggests that the player in MP has KJ, and you should only call the river at most, if not fold to save yourself a bet.

His lead bet on the flop is exactly what anyone of us would do. When you raise him he now knows that you either have AK, AA or Adxd. That's why he leads on the turn, to make sure you pay if you're drawing to diamonds.

His bet on the river is strictly for value, he knows you hold either AK or AA.

Of course his play would also make sense if he has AA or KK.

To answer your question, I would not raise a 4th time.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:35 AM

I would make a crying call at the river unless the following 3 conditions have been met then I would raise
1) he's believer "I have to call the river bet anyway, so I might as well bet myself)
2) he would pay you off with something like KQ when you raise the river
3) he usually tries for a check-raise w/ a big hand such as a set or top 2 pairs
Old 12-02-2002, 01:28 AM

I'd call and expect to see KJ, with a small chance of 55. Hope you raised and got called by KQ, though.