Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Michael Vick

Im not a Falcons fan, but b/c of Vick I think I'm going to buy a ticket onto their banwagon.

I only have one word for this guy....WOW.

I thought he was good in a losing effort in the 99'-00' Sugar Bowl. But he was even better today. If you like football and you didnt watch him destroy the Vikings today you have to catch the highlights on ESPN tonight.

There is no doubt in my mind, that right now, he is the best athlete and player in the NFL and if he keeps doing what he's doing, he's an easy pick for MVP.

I dont know all his stats except that its his first year as a starter and he has close to 600 yards rushing, he's only thrown 3 picks all year. His team is 8-3-1 and has won 7 in a row. Wow, this guys freakin incredible.

Ryan_21
Old 12-01-2002, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Michael Vick

The thing I hate most about Vick is that he plays in the NFC South with the Saints. He's going to be tearing up the Saints for the next 10 years like he did in the two games this year. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2002, 02:55 AM

He needs to learn to throw the ball if he is going to fulfill his immense potential. You need to be able to sit behind the line of scrimmage and throw the ball to win the Super Bowl, its that simple. He hasn't thrown many picks but he hasn't thrown that many TD's either, and his yardage is pathetic.

The real problem is that every time he rushes the ball he puts his career at risk. It would be a shame to see him lose multiple seasons of his career to injury, but that is what will happen eventually unless he changes his approach. I'd hate to see such huge potential go unfulfilled because of injury.

Old 12-02-2002, 03:24 AM

Clarkmeister,

While I consider you accurate almost all of the time, I disagree with you here.

The reason for Michael Vick's huge potential is his running ability. He completely transforms the QB position. His creative abilities have probably given the Atlanta Falcons at least two extra wins this season. You claim that you don't want to see him risking injury because that would be a waste of potential, but I think the reason he has potential is his running ability. So for him to stop running means he loses his potential. If Vick can't run, he's not Vick, and he's not the excellent quarterback that he is right now. He may miss a few years due to injury, but this will not offset the wins he gains by playing the way he does. I think the constant cry for a pocket quarterback is outdated rubbish.

As to your claim that he has to learn how to throw the ball, I hesitatingly agree, but I do not really think it necessary for him to be a great NFL quarterback. I think it is wrong to say that one needs to drop back and throw to win the Super Bowl. While this has generally been true in the past, there has been no running threat at the QB like Vick. His throwing ability is there; he can toss a mean spiral and is at times deadly accurate. I think experience in NFL decision making as well as a better corp of receivers in the future will easily give Vick better yardage numbers and overall passing stats. Surely, you cannot ignore the fact that the guy rarely makes catastrophic mistakes to kill his team. And in a league as closely contested as the NFL, avoiding turnovers may be job #1 of quarterbacks.

I will also address your claim that Priest Holmes is the league MVP. Although I hate many sportswriters' claims that the MVP must be on a playoff contending team (and surely KC is still on the fringe, though they need a miracle), I believe that Vick has added more wins to his team this year than Holmes. When Holmes has 300 combined yards and the Chiefs still lose to Seattle, I have some real questions. I doubt if the game would have been much worse without Holmes there, because it could not have gone much worse. You may disagree with this criterion for judging an MVP, but I stick to the position that Vick has added at least two wins to the Atlanta season all by himself and Holmes has not done this for KC.

Mike
Old 12-02-2002, 03:49 AM

Hi Mike,

I is well documented that constantly scrambling like Vick does causes quite a bit of harm to your offense. The offensive line in particular cannot effectively do their job when the QB is all over the place, and are frequently caught out of position which causes sacks and penalties. Interestingly, for all of his mobility, Vick has been sacked a high number of times this year. Also, receivers who are constantly trying to cut off routes to bail out their QB are not as effective. It is very difficult for an offense to gain any sort of rythm when half the pass plays become a scramble drill.

"He may miss a few years due to injury, but this will not offset the wins he gains by playing the way he does"

In the NFL where salary cap reigns supreme, an injury in the wrong year can mean waiting 3-6 years for another window to open up. True anyone can get injured, but he is a much higher risk than even the normal stationary QB's.

"I think it is wrong to say that one needs to drop back and throw to win the Super Bowl. "

Until someone does it another way, it is not wrong, it is NFL canon law. Your contention that there haven't been mobile QB's like Vick in the league is simply wrong. They just haven't won the big game. Elway and Young didn't win until after they had stopped running all over the place. Randall Cunningham couldn't get it done. McNabb is still trying to get it done. You can laugh at this one, but Kordell was far more effective last year sitting in the pocket than 3 years prior when he was scrambling all the time. You can't say its an outdated concept until someone disproves it.

As for Preist Holmes:

That was a comment in the Other Gambling Games forum where mikelow asked "who has been more valuable to his team than Vick". I stated Preist. I wasn't casting my vote for him as league MVP, just stating I felt he is more valuable to that team than Vick, which I do believe. I also think that there are several OTHER players more valuable to their team than Vick at this moment. These would include McNabb, Favre, Gannon, Faulk, Bledsoe and Tomlinson.

As for league MVP, which is a slightly different issue, I think its too early to tell.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:34 PM

I happen to agree with everything Micheal Davis said in his post above. But there are a few things I'd like to add.

Everyone criticizes Vick's throwing ability like they use to criticize Jordan's Defense. Its rediculous to say this guy cant be a pocket passer. He has the arm, the smarts, he makes all the reads, and he's only 21. If anybody thinks he cant throw they must've missed his 50 something yard perfect toss for a TD yesterday.

As for your opinion on him getting injured. I dont see why people worry about this. When he runs the ball he is no different than a running back, and nobody ever makes this statement about injury about any running backs. Just b/c he's a QB makes him more succeptable to injury than any running back in the league? Nonsense. The guys 6'1" 215lbs. He's bigger than some backs in the league. Hell, he's bigger than the starting back on his team (Dunn). For someone to make the statement that Vick is succeptable to injury when he runs the ball, they would have to say the same thing about every running back in the league.

And, as Davis pointed out about him adding wins to the Falcons season and the MVP award. In my opinion he has added more than 2 wins. Remember, they started 1-3. I think without Vick, they'd be 2-10 or 3-9 and definately no better than 4-8. For a player to have that much impact on a team, his value is undeniable.

Ryan_21
Old 12-02-2002, 02:05 PM

Every running back in the league is susceptible. Their careers are very short on average. Terrell Davis is more the rule than the exception.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:23 PM

Its still wrong to say Vick is "more" succeptable just b/c he runs the ball. And honestly what happened to Davis and guys like Jamal Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Ki Jana Carter, Garrison Hearst really IS an exception b/c their injury's have nothing really to do with getting "beat up" it was just a freak accident. Sure it can happen to anybody, but I dont think you can say Vick is more succeptable to getting beat up just b/c he runs the ball. If he averages 10 carries a game, he's going to get beat up a lot less than a running back who cares 25 times a game.

Ryan_21
Old 12-02-2002, 06:13 PM

"Interestingly, for all of his mobility, Vick has been sacked a high number of times this year."

Barry Sanders used to lead the league in runs for losses at the same time he was leading it in rushing yards. No risk, no reward.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:24 PM

Just a guess, but I'm not sure how much this applies. With sanders, you knew he was getting the ball. defenses could key on him, so there had to be a bunch of times where he picked up negative yardgae.