Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Man berating old lady at table

Last week at the Trop. I was sitting at my usual 4-8 holdem table when this king a-hole sits down and w/in about 5 mins gets sucked out on by one of those little old lady calling stations that play every hand. so he proceeds to curse her and berate her and her play. these kinds of things get me very steamed, so i end up basically telling him to shut the f-up. i think he understood and didn't say another word until he left the table. my question is this: is it acceptable to defend the old lady in this situation? or should i have said nothing and allowed the idiot to stay and lose his money (i think i made him uncomfortable)? usually i don't care so much when someone is mouthing off, and i try to stay out of arguments going on at the table, but i didn't think it was right to do to somebody's grandmother. i just thought about my mother and grandmother and how i certainly wouldn't allow someone to talk to them the way he was talking to her. What do you think?

Zeus XIX
Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Man berating old lady at table

Probably a -EV move for the game, but a +EV move in terms of getting into heaven.*

*If you believe in that sort of thing.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:58 PM

Good move. You kept the grandma-the-calling-station in the game and kept the as[/b]shole from bringing the whole table down.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:58 PM

You did the right thing. Men should not be cursing (old) ladies. I like to think I would have followed Your example. Next time he will hopefully might think twice.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM

I would have done this same thing, but mostly because I think that life is too short for one to be stuck at a poker table with some a-hole who has no manners.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have done this same thing, but mostly because I think that life is too short for one to be stuck at a poker table with some a-hole who has no manners.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 PM

STICK UP FOR THE FISH! thats my motto
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 PM

yup.

i also don't think it's necesarily -EV for the game either.

you're keeping the grandma from leaving. and you're keeping the a-hole from bringing any friendliness at the table to a screeching halt.

i guess a berater could cause some other guys to tilt or steam or whatever and create some crazy pots...but I still prefer the idea that when everyone is happier they'll be likely to play more.

More fun that way too of course.

The crazyest of the live tables I've ever been on were situations where everyone was pretty drunk and chatty and having a good time.
The tightest of the tables I've been on were one's where everyone was just grumpy and quiet.

Haven't been on enough tables with really angry, berating a-holes to know how much that will take a grumpy-table over the edge to crazed steamers though.

Even if it isn't completely +EV poker-wise though I think you did the right thing.
But I also think an argument can be made that most of your poker games will be more profitable without the idiot a-holes.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:35 PM

You did exactly the right thing. I wish more people told nasty people to shut up. I haven't played at The Trop for several years, but I preferred it to The Taj because it was tougher on nasty people.

And I particularly appreciate men who protect nice, little old ladies. We were taught as children to be respective to them, and it bothers me immensely to see them abused.

Thank you,

Al
Old 05-13-2005, 08:44 PM

when in doubt, tell him to shut the f-up

I don't care if it's slightly -EV or not, no one should be allowing a grandmother to take that kind of abuse from a dickhead like that

RB