Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2002, 08:25 PM

Default QQ folded to me on the button

Slightly loose-aggressive $6-$12 game, I was on the button when this hand came up.

I have red queens, and its folded to me on the button. I have been playing the button aggressively when this happens, as there was always a chance to pick up the blinds. Not that I think raising here is aggresive, my point is it would have been unusual for me to limp here.

I raise, small blind calls and the big-blind folds. Small blind is a new player who I don’t know much about, but she seemed solid to this point (about 2 hours).

Flop comes down K J J rainbow. Ugh! I couldn’t imagine a worse flop. Didn’t think it through at this point, and bet out, mostly because I was annoyed at the flop. She raised, and I called. Turn gave me the Q (Queens Full), I bet, she called. River was a deuce. Bet-call-win.

I had some questions about my flop play. I really didn’t want to release the Queens, but the fact that she called me down made me think they might have been good. Thinking about it afterwards, I am starting to think if I wanted to stay in this hand at all, I should have three-bet the flop, or checked with the intention of check-raising.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Huh?
Old 11-30-2002, 09:50 PM

Default Re: QQ folded to me on the button

I'm thinking real hard and I can't come up with a good reason not to bet that flop with QQ heads-up when it gets checked to you.

I should have...checked with the intention of check-raising.

I always like asking this question since nobody has given me the answer yet.

How do you checkraise when you are on the button?

Old 11-30-2002, 10:02 PM

Default Kinda stupid Q ! Really ... n/t

Old 11-30-2002, 10:23 PM

Doh! Good question hehe.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:55 AM

"How do you checkraise when you are on the button?"

I was going to ask the same thing. It seems strange to me how often that comes up in posts. Someone else said the same thing a couple of days ago.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:08 AM

It's funny, but many times when I look at my options I think in terms of the following.

Betting, but fold to a raise
Betting, and three betting to a raise
Betting, then calling
Checking, then calling
Checking, then raising
Folding, then bitching

In this case, I never really considered three-betting, but in retrospect I did. Usually when I bet with the intention of three-betting (and I am not sure if I have the best hand), I consider check-raising (which will save me a bet if I dont)....So basically I got twisted up, but only retrospectively.