Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 04:57 PM

Default T9s turn

This hand came up last night in the 15/30.

I have T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the CO and raise two limpers. The BB calls the raise, as do the limpers. Unfortauntely I have not upgraded my Playerview version yet and had not been at the table long, so I'm going pretty much without player reads.

The flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The BB bets out, the first limper calls, the next limper folds and I raise. The BB just calls and now the limper folds, so it's heads up.

The turn is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and it's checked to me. Bet or check?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: T9s turn

I'd check. On of the two has a Q or J most likely. You bought a free card, use it.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM

I'm betting.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd check. On of the two has a Q or J most likely. You bought a free card, use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

-d
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 PM

It's heads up, dudes.

-McGee
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's HU
Old 05-12-2005, 05:07 PM

I'll take a shot. I think I would check behind. Normally, HU, if I'm betting I like to keep up the pressure even if I'm on a draw because a bet often gets a fold on the turn and you can win a lot of pots UI.

The problem here is that BB is probably betting a Q or a J. If he's betting a Q, you're getting c/red which sucks when drawing live. If he has a jack, you're losing money betting the turn because he won't fold. Unless you think this guy would take a shot at that flop with a smaller pair and can fold the turn, I don't see a bet doing any good.

Also, he could be betting another straight draw like KT. If thats the case, you might be able to get a fold on the river by betting the turn and then the river if a blank hits, but this is too unlikely to really be a factor here.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:08 PM

Since the BB is folding the turn, like never, and you don't care about a free showdown...oh, you know where I'm going with this.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's HU

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that if we raised a hand like this, flopped a draw and got it HU on the turn, betting is better because you can win w/o improving. However, to me this is only good when you raise preflop and no one shows aggression on the flop letting you bet first (also not getting c/red). In this case, when HU on the turn you should continue firing. Here you have a guy betting and calling a raise. There isn't anything that he could have that would justify betting the turn. Even if he has a J or small pp, he's probably not folding, at least not enough for the turn bet to become more profitable than a check I think.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's heads up, dudes.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have (and bet - and lay down on the turn or river) KT,T9,TT-44,22,2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s often enough to justify a bet here? I think there's 3% chance we have the best hand, and only a small chance of getting BB to lay down here or on the river.

The only value I can see in a bet would be to fold a med/small PP (with which BB may not bet out on a 2-broadway coordinated board) or by continuing a bluff on the river to fold out a flush/straight draw.

I suck at HU, though.

I would think about a semi-bluff here, but it really sucks to get raised, and i'd probably puss out and check through a blank river. (Sometimes, i'd actually make it, but readless, it's difficult.)

-d