Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Default A basic KJo hand

My opponent in this hand is loose preflop with reasonable aggression, but he's not overly loose postflop. Here are some of my stats on him over a somewhat small sample size (H: 81 - V: 37 - R: 9 - WTS: 33).

All comments are welcome but my main question is about my turn/river line.

Anyone check behind here on the turn in an attempt to induce a river bluff? You dodge a CR but a better king or a four and there aren't a lot free cards that worry you. But you do miss a big bet from worse kings and pocket pairs.

Would some of you *consider* this line here but reserve it for situations against tighter players or when you have a worse kicker with your king or ace top pair? Also, how certain would you need to be that this guy will take a shot at you on the turn.

Let me know what you think...

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (Villain) calls, Hero calls, SB completes, UTG (poster) checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, Villain calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain...

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: A basic KJo hand

Raise preflop, especially with the extra dead money in the pot.

Flop: fine

Turn: No draws on the board and there's no reason to think he has a 4, just keep betting

River: Fine
Old 05-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Since i think u can fold to a c/r from this opponent and he will call u down with a worse king and likely would have raised a better one PF, i don't know why u wouldn't want to extract 2 bb from him. I would just bet the turn.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:45 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I don't think that this is a raise PF, unless the other two limpers suck.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:06 PM

&lt;shrug&gt; I like KJo less with 6 opponents for 1 bet than with 3 opponents for 2.

Now, if the blinds are real loose callers, I'd just call preflop.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 PM

Depending on the players, I am probably not going to raise pre-flop. If I knew I could knock out the blinds I would raise. Also if all the limpers were pretty loose I would probably do a value raise.

However, at this point, we are not going to keep the pot short handed and although we probably do have a edge in PF equity, I don't think it is such a large edge that we are giving up much by not raising.

Flop: good.

Turn. This is certainly a bet. If you get check raised, I would call down.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn. This is certainly a bet. If you get check raised, I would call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't fold to a check-raise here, because he will check-raise with hands you beat (KT, K9) and there aren't very many hands he is likely to have that beat you. Since he didn't raise preflop, that makes it very unlikely he has AA, KK, or AK, and pretty unlikely he doesn't have KQ. Reasonable hands to put him on here are A4s, maybe K4s, 44, and maybe 54s or 43s. Without doing the math, most of these hands are pretty unlikely given that 2 4's and 2 K's are accounted for. Given the pot size, calling down a check-raise on the turn seems right to me.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I knew I could knock out the blinds I would raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly won't knock them out with a limp. I think I'd raise PF here as well. No one has shown strength, and you have position.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:42 PM

just bet the turn, they will call with worse hands much more than you will get check raised.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I knew I could knock out the blinds I would raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly won't knock them out with a limp. I think I'd raise PF here as well. No one has shown strength, and you have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you think it is unlikely that you will knock them out with a raise, then you should be less likely to raise.