Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:26 AM

Default A4s, on the button, 3/6 game.

Online 3-6 game,

One MP poster checks, folded to me on the button, and I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Ordinarily, I would raise here, because I have a good chance of creating dead money, and I like my hand, but the BB is going to see the flop unless he has a great need to use the bathroom, and I don't think that is the case, because he did post his big blind.

Anyway, I decide to raise for value anyway, and the SB three bets it. To noone's surprise, the BB calls, the poster folds, and I call. 10 Sbs to the turn.

Ok, the flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

SB checks?, BB checks, and I am torn between betting, and taking my free card here. Although this whole sequence is a little suspicious, maybe I can get a free card on the turn if I bet now. I bet, and the SB raises. BB, apparently doesn't have any part of this, because he folds, and now with 13 SBs in the pot, I call.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, and now I have 9 or fewer outs. But there are 8 big bets in the pot, and if I have as many as 6, it is right for me to call.

River, 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BB bets, and I raise. He pukes, calls, and berates me. Based on this hand, do I belong on his buddy list?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: A4s, on the button, 3/6 game.

Insult the puke for trying to FPS his pocket pair, and I'm calling that turn 100% of the time. It may look like dump because you had a weak draw on the flop and got screwed into having to pay 2SBs there, but other than that, there's nothing to really hate about it. I don't know, perhaps a chop with AJ or AA, perhaps your A outs are worthless. I think discounting all your outs will still grab you enough to make that turn call.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:41 AM

Hey Bob,

I'd check behind on the flop. SB's flop check is totally suspect and you're going to get c/r'ed here a huge amount of the time. If SB isn't planning on c/r'ing you he has an A with a bigger kicker most of the time and isn't folding anyway. If there was a K instead of a J on the board I'd be more inclined to bet.

Turn/river is easy.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:17 AM

yea, I totally agree. When I read this, I saw the checkraise coming.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 AM

IMO the only reasonable scenario that has him checking the flop (which screams monster anyway) is if he had JJ, in which case he has you creamed. Put him on YOUR list. Did he have AK clubs? I don't get his flop check.

As far as the flop bet, I make it, using the rationale that you did. Free cards with gutterballs and maybe a good over=yummy.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:22 AM

I think the flop is really the only questionable street. There is absolutely zero chance I'm folding this turn. You may have the best hand, although unlikely. But possible. And if not you are likely drawing very live.

As for the flop, I'd probably check behind given his 3-bet/check is somewhat suspicious. But betting if it's not best can't be too bad there.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:29 AM

I"d have checked the flop, but looks good otherwise.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But betting if it's not best can't be too bad there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's for value....there's going to runner, runner 4s coming. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I agree though, I don't think it's the worst in the world, but I was quite certain there was going to be a c/r coming. I think i would have just checked for that reason.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:38 AM

I smell a CR on the flop. I think theres just too much risk to be betting. Take a free look at the turn.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Results.

SB's flop check is totally suspect and you're going to get c/r'ed here a huge amount of the time.

Yeah, as most people have pointed out, the flop check is totally suspect, but at the time I made the bet, I was thinking that maybe he was hoping to checkraise me on the turn, so if I bet the flop, he might smoothcall, and check on the turn, at which point I was going to take a free card.

When he checked the flop, I thought that he probably had either AA or JJ, and when he checkraised immediately, I thought that it was a lot more likely that he had AA.

In fact, he did have AA and my hand was good, or at least ahead of his at the river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].