Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 09:21 PM

Default flopped the set...then shot my wad. please advise...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (6 handed) converter

MP (t1630)
CO (t1490)
Button (t1520)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1380)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t20, MP calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t150</font>, Button calls t150, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1480</font>, MP folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: t1880

I was figuring to test the waters with the flop bet, looking for the A (Ok, not necessary, A would have bet anyway). In hindsight my reraise all-in makes my minbet all the more indicative of the set. But with TWO in the pot, in this early of a level, an open-ended drawer seemed entirely possible. Plus with the off chance an A will call, I let it rip.

What do you think? Smooth-call, check-push the turn? Price them in with a reraise? Be content with the 330 chips?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: flopped the set...then shot my wad. please advise...

If you're going to try to make a move on this flop, you might just want to go for a check/raise instead of minbetting.

If you minbet, you can give a cheap draw to a gutshot (although if you went for a check/raise and everyone checked behind, I guess it would have the same effect). The minbet looks suspicious and doesn't really do anything for you.

After your flop bet gets raised, you can either re-raise or call. If you're pretty sure that neither one would call that raise with a gutshot, I think it's pretty safe to just smooth-call here. Unless the villain already has two-pair, any broadway card would improve their hand to one that will probably pay you off. I just smooth-call.

The case would be different if the flop had two of one suit, or if your opponents are especially fishy and your hand needs protection from a gutshot.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 PM

If you're really concerned about draws on that board, offering 6:1 odds to see the turn with a weak ass flop bet is not the way to handle it.

There's 5 players in the hand. If it's checked to you like this, make a real bet - half the pot or something. Once MP does the dirty work for you, call and c/r the turn. The way you played it I think you look weak enough that he'll bet the turn if you check to him. I'm not too worried about giving a free card.

I'm usually pretty happy to take down nice pots like this on the flop, but you're hand is very strong and the board isn't overly scary - you should try to milk this one a little more.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:12 PM

. .. how would you play the hand if you had a weak Ace?
.. ..a medium pair that missed the flop?

. .neither one would min bet/RR push the flop . . .