Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Default I hate calling, part 2

Another calling opportunity. Some facts:

- This is a 33.
- Pusher is a 2+2'er.
- Blinds go up in about 2-3 hands

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t2175)
MP (t840)
Hero (t785)
SB (t2470)
BB (t1730)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Folded to MP, who pushes. Hero ???
Old 05-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: I hate calling, part 2

I like a call here. There is a very good chance you have him dominated. And in your situation, I'll gladly take a 60/40 gamble to double up rather than wait. Your fold equity is dwindling so I'm not sure waiting is a good idea. I think you should gladly accept the risk that its a coinflip in exchange for the possibility that you have him dominated.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:56 PM

wow, almost similar situation but I think this is an easier call. I hate calling as well but once again I call especially since this a 2+2er. Especially if the blinds are going up in 2 hands which would be my big blind.

The only reason I advocate pushing in both these situations is how shortstacked you are. With blinds moving up a blind steal isn't going to get you into position to make a run for the money. You need to double up and double up soon and I don't see a better situation than this one coming as if you win you get both villans stack and the blinds. If you win the hand now you can dictate the game and you are back playing for first. Fold and you are forced to push one of the next 2 hands.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Call.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, almost similar situation

[/ QUOTE ]

no it isn't. the only thing similiar is the stack sizes. I think I myself would call here because I need to flip coins alot to win but a case could be made for folding. Even if you fold the next set of blinds, you have 650 left and that's 1/4 of the largest stack. I don't think anyone would want to risk 1/4th of their stack unless they pick up a hand.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Sykes you missed the part where the blinds are going up to 200-100 so the blinds would actually decrease you to 585.

At a table with solid players I don't know if you are going to get a better shot than this one.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sykes you missed the part where the blinds are going up to 200-100 so the blinds would actually decrease you to 585.

At a table with solid players I don't know if you are going to get a better shot than this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also be interested if anyone would call here with KQo.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also be interested if anyone would call here with KQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not call here with KQo
Old 05-09-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some facts:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
- Pusher is a 2+2'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gets his chips, in the middle, very fast, and doesn't hate it. You're likely a 60/40 favorite, against a 2+2er hand range. This is very +$EV given the circumstances.

Scuba
PS - David, why not do the math on this one? It would be a good exercise for you. And might as well do it with KQo as well. You'll see quite a dichotomy. KQo, is likely a dog against the hand range.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some facts:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
- Pusher is a 2+2'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gets his chips, in the middle, very fast, and doesn't hate it. You're likely a 60/40 favorite, against a 2+2er hand range. This is very +$EV given the circumstances.

Scuba
PS - David, why not do the math on this one? It would be a good exercise for you. And might as well do it with KQo as well. You'll see quite a dichotomy. KQo, is likely a dog against the hand range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing the math it ends up being a toss-up against a typical range, but you don't have to move it far to one side or the other to push it to call or fold, so that's why I posted it.

FWIW, at the time, I didn't realize that it was a 2+2'er (I really don't know how I missed it -- ah, the perils of multi-tabling), and I probably would've played it differently if I had.

I know he did a while later when he called me and busted me out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]