Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Default The Infamous Party SNG Wave

Ok, this is a little bit of a vent for me so bare with me. Almsot down to a science, like clockwork if you will, I will win for a week or so in the SNG. I will hit cards, my hands will hold, and I'll play smart. Then, all of sudden, as if coming in on que, I will begin to get destroyed. I will still play smart, but my hands wont hold, I wont hit cards, and eventually you can throw in a bit of tilt in there, making a call or two I normally wouldnt. Eventually by the time this cold streak has slowed down I've lost more than I gained in my good streak. It seems there is never a normal curve in SNG's. It's like on of those wave diagrams in highschool but the bottom part goes alot lower than the crest. It just seems a little odd to me thats all. Lets make it clear that i DONT believe Party is rigged in this sense that it makes one fish win over another person. However, could their RNG or anything else be accidently set in these waves where without knowing it the RNG is stuck in these patterns. I dont mean to sound stupid or like a lunatic but this is just a possible theory of mine.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: The Infamous Party SNG Wave

Get a normal 6-sided die.

#1 is $50
#2 is $25

the other four numbers are $0

Throwing the die costs you $11.
Keep score for 2000 throws and see how the waves go, you'll see that it's normal to spot patterns that aren't really there.

Lori
Old 05-08-2005, 02:51 PM

I go on similar streaks at Pokerstars, however I think it's just variance (and the fact I suck)... It could be some programing flaw or somthing, but I highly doubt it.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:53 PM

I thought it was normal variance too like Lorinda points out. But these waves for me come so often, literally like clockwork, that the pattern would definatly stand out to anyone that saw the results. It just seems to accurate and precise to be variance.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:55 PM

The higher stakes players on party have been aware of this "wave" feature for quite some time, and it has a significant impact on your results. Most players do not have the ability to detect when this wave his is hitting them. However, many of the more successful players online, including Gigabet and ZeeJustin, got to be that way by figuring out this way and adjusting their play according. Why else would Gigabet reraise with Q4o in the Step 5 Higher? He knew the wave had hit his crest near that time; his oppoent, well aware of this, wisely folded.

Newer players must learn about about this to truly be "great" sng players who play the step 5's for the living. Players like raptor are developing a feel for it, but have not obtained it yet. I suspect that once he does he'll be up there in the 15k's as well.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:56 PM

It is also possible that you play a little too loose when you've been running well, and a little too tight when you've been running badly.

Lori
Old 05-08-2005, 02:57 PM

This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Sorry to be harsh but it is.

Just realised you must be joking
Old 05-08-2005, 02:58 PM

It makes perfect sense. Business sense that is. Party let's you win a little, lose a little - feeds the addiction and when they do bust you out, you'll reload and keep paying rake.

The people on this site suck anyway - you should check this out.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Sorry to be harsh but it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not....

Unfortunately you don't see why, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
PS You must not be very familiar with Elektrik....
Old 05-08-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was normal variance too like Lorinda points out. But these waves for me come so often, literally like clockwork, that the pattern would definatly stand out to anyone that saw the results. It just seems to accurate and precise to be variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these waves also. Luckily for me the sea slopes upwards.