Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Drunken, must straddle 2+2 game at Canterbury in peril

Was pulled aside by a manager at CP the other day. Apparently, the floor staff have decided that the drunken 2+2 games are not welcome at CP. I think they are willing to be flexible, but I want to give voice to their concerns. It is possible something could be worked out. In no particular order:

1. The games are disruptive to the cardroom.

2. The games require increased staff attention, detracting from their ability to maintain a smoothly running room.

3. Players violate basic rules (i.e. talking about hands), and dealers who are being WAY tipped well are unwilling to enforce the rules.

4. Dougie gets WAY too drunk (okay, they mentioned no specific names, I'm ad-libbing here).

CP's suggestions (in order):

1. Move the drunken game to someone's house. (I think we could hire a CP dealer, but it would be strictly "don't ask, don't tell").

2. Play at 4:00 a.m., long after the bar is closed.

Milo's suggestions:

We agree to some basic ground rules, and present them to CP. While I think they are way on the picky side about the rules there, I also think these rules are the reason CP is such a smoothly running room. I think there must be some middle ground here (plus, I'm pissed because I missed the last game, and want there to be another).
Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Drunken, must straddle 2+2 game at Canterbury in peril

The solution to this is simple. When you're there on normal nights, mention to the dealers what's happening. Somehow I think if their tips are in jeopardy they might collectively try to convince management otherwise.

**disclaimer** - I have not been to Cbury, or seen Dougie drunk, so maybe my option isn't even possible.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:17 AM

The dealers prolly know, but have little say in the matter. As a group, the dealers love the game, but this is a well-run cardroom, not likely to buckle to dealer bitching.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:32 AM

WTF? Did I recently miss one of these?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:47 AM

There was an all-2+2 game at Bob T's house last summer. These mopes hardly drank at all. Why the same crew would want to pay Canterbury rake and Canterbury drink prices to do this is beyond me.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 AM

Last night me, Mike C, Kirby, Andy and Keith played drunken 4/8. I heard one of the floor guys say to an off-the-clock dealer "I thought we banned this kind of game" but he was watching and laughing and he let it go on and even took part in sweating one of Andy's hands.

Does "the other day" = this afternoon by any chance?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:30 AM

This is ridiculous. We're making Canterbury money in many ways off of this game.

1. Increased rake due to consistently large pots
2. Dealers and service staff make much more money in tips
3. Our game attracts a crowd which keeps people sticking around longer in the room and likely spending money
4. People see how much fun we're having and it encourages them to gamble it up on their tables creating high rake again.

In regards to the reasons they gave:

1. Our "disruptive" behavior is no worse than normal disruptive yelling canterbury players. The only difference is that we draw a crowd, which wouldn't be a problem if they'd put us off in a corner.

2. These games do not require increased attention if the floor was not so uptight. The night I was there the floor came over several times, yet no player and no dealer complained once. If the floor stopped being so uptight all would be fine. Plus they didn't seem too concerned when Doug gave them a tip to leave. Shows where there priorities are.

3. The part about us violating rules is just plain untrue. This was a rare occurence at this game, and happened at a slightly larger frequency than at a normal table, nothing to get worked up about.

Basically this is complete BS. We're making them and everyone involved with their cardroom more money than they make any other night of the year, and they're going to complain about it. Then they suggest we play at 4 am? Yeah that seems really reasonable.

I hope Annie reads this and can put in a word for us, because this is ridiculous.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:49 AM

ok...excuse me - quick question

How the HELL do you get drunk at Canterbury? - I mean sure...if you load up beforehand or take a flask of Jameson into a stall every 30 min....

But once there, the drink limit pretty much tosses drunk behavior out the window.

In fact, I don't see how anyone could get drunk out there - jeez - what a bunch of [censored] lightweights.

I have seen it happen, but I have NO idea how - now, on the other hand, on my first night at the MGM, when the waitress made my third shot about 5 times larger then the first two, that could get me drunk easily enough [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 AM

excuse me...

who brought a pint of Jim Bean and dropped a chip into it? -
thank you....I did my part...not my fault everyone's a lightweight.

RB
Old 05-06-2005, 04:03 AM

My comment wasn't directed at you. You haven't been playing in these drunken magoo-fests at CP, have you? Seems to me that you and I were the big drinkers at Bob's house, and I wouldn't say that I was throwing down.