Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Major to pick

Is accounting a good major? Does it lead to a lot of job options? I've heard what the school and my parents have to say, so some other's responses would be welcome
Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Major to pick

This is pretty much entirely dependent on what you want to do after you graduate.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:18 PM

What Jake said.

Seriously - what do you like to do? Figure out a job you think would sound interesting to you and major in that field.

IE. I'm absolutely obsessed with sports and music. Hence, I'm going into broadcast journalism with the final goal of being a sports reporter (or a radio DJ, hehe...).

Great thing about college: what your parents say means less than ever, at least in this regard. Its your life, figure out what you like and go for it. It'll be more fun that way.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:50 PM

If you like accounting, it is a great major.

I hate it.

My friends who are accounting majors are the ones with the best job options in the business world right now. Basically, if you bust your ass and get great grades you have tons of job options that pay very well. I don't know about accounting students with crappy grades though.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM

Although I'm only a freshman so I don't know much about real world job opportunities, I'm trying for a double major in Econ and Psychology.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:58 PM

It doesn't matter what you pick for a major unless you're going to be an engineer or a doctor (and doctor may not even matter for a semester or two). Just go, take a wide variety of stuff your first couple semesters, and take it from there.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Accounting degree, then get your CPA a year after college...
=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 PM

I graduated in 02, most of the kids I knew who were accounting majors had an easier time finding jobs than my friends who were liberal arts/humanities majors. The only downside is....they all got jobs as entry level accountants, they make OK money, but my interpretation of their work life is that it's kinda Office Space-ish, gray cubicle land. If you wanna go for a CPA then the ceiling is much higher but its a lot more work/longer hours.

Do you have any other interests? perhaps you could double major and give something a little more risky but interesting a shot, but still have an accounting degree to fall back on.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:11 PM

If you would like to get a job and not move back in with your parents after college do NOT get a degree in almost anything Liberal Arts. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Make sure you like what you do though, that should be a huge factor.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:15 PM

As my fellow goons have already said, it depends on what you like. If accounting is your thing, then do it. Don't pick a major just because your folks tell you to, unless, of course they're footing the bill.

I paid my own way. Started out pre-med because that's what i was told to do. Hated it. My grades were good, but I enjoyed my electives more (med ethics, literature, languages). I switched to philosophy my junior year, went on to grad school, got a masters degree, then decided I needed to make some money, so I got a job.

I now negotiate with international governments to obtain marketing approvals for high-end medical systems. The circle is nearly complete.

Bottom line: have fun in college. Learn stuff. Go wild for four years. Don't worry about what you're gonna be when you grow up. I'm still trying to figure that out.