Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Default how to multitable with small monitor?

hi guys. i've just moved to party. ideally, i'd like to be 4-tabling right now. my screen resolution is 1152x864. i have a 17" monitor. i'm not interested in buying a bigger monitor right now. any tips for making multitabling as convenient as possible on my setup? is there any software or anything out there that can help me out?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: how to multitable with small monitor?

Hey, I 4-table at 1024x768 on my laptop. I drag the bottom two tables down so the chatbox is offscreen and get 2" of the top two tables visible. It's not perfect but certainly playable. I'm saving up for a new PC and monitor.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM

I do the same thing just drag each table to a corner and adjust them all so you can see each one. It is not perfect but it gets the job done.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:03 PM

I'm not sure how the windows on Party works, but I 12-table Stars on my laptop with a 1400x1050 resolution. I don't find it difficult as all, as a window will pop to the forefront every time you have pending action on that table. I don't understand the need for all these fancy monitor setups. Obviously, the key is that no "buttons" overlap, so you don't misclick when a new window pops up when you're about to click on another one.

I always set up my tables the same way - table 1 is in the upper-left corner, 2 in the lower-right, 3 in the upper-right, 4 in the lower-left, 5 and 6 are evenly "spaced" (we're talking like 80% overlap here) between 1 and 4 down the left hand side of the screen. Similarly, 7 and 8 are down the right hand side between 2 and 3; 9 and 10 along the top between 1 and 2; and 11 and 12 at the bottom between 3 and 4.

I always put them in the same order, so I know which window-tab to click on the taskbar if I want to get to a specific table to see some action if there's a key pot being contested. You do need to get familiar with using the tabs, because often times entire tables are covered, and you won't be able to click it on the screen if you want to without moving other tables around, which gets messy. If I'm feeling especially frisky, I'll set up Tables 13-16 similarly to 1-4 on the "inside" space left in the middle of the screen.

I couldn't do any more tables than 16 without button overlap, which would make it impossible not to misclick muliple times per set.

Other little tricks when playing that many tables - use the "autofold" buttons when you're dealt a hand on one the tables that happen to be on the top at the time if you know you're not playing those cards - that'll give you some time to observe other tables.

Also, once you're all-in, see what you're up against, then go back to your other games. It can be frustrating when you're in with KK against an opponents' 66 on Table 7, then Tables 2, 9, and 11 pop up and you play them, then Table 7 pops back up and says "UMTerp has completed this tournament in 5th Place". It works in reverse too though - that's fun. You really have to get emotionally unattached from everything. You do miss a lot of action though, so I would recommend spending an hour a night or something reviews hand histories when you're finished playing - both to critique your own play, and to pick up on tendencies of others regulars you encounter.

I dunno, it works for me, but some friends that have tried something similar seem to have difficulty with that much overlap.

So for your question, just stick one table in each corner of the screen, make sure the raise/fold buttons from various tables don't overlap, and have at it.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 PM

thanks. very helpful reply.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:21 PM

I have about the same resolution, a bit smaller, and i can barely fit 2 tables but I still 4 table haha, I strategically place each table so that that the buttons dont overlap.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how the windows on Party works, but I 12-table Stars on my laptop with a 1400x1050 resolution. I don't find it difficult as all, as a window will pop to the forefront every time you have pending action on that table. I don't understand the need for all these fancy monitor setups. Obviously, the key is that no "buttons" overlap, so you don't misclick when a new window pops up when you're about to click on another one.

I always set up my tables the same way - table 1 is in the upper-left corner, 2 in the lower-right, 3 in the upper-right, 4 in the lower-left, 5 and 6 are evenly "spaced" (we're talking like 80% overlap here) between 1 and 4 down the left hand side of the screen. Similarly, 7 and 8 are down the right hand side between 2 and 3; 9 and 10 along the top between 1 and 2; and 11 and 12 at the bottom between 3 and 4.

I always put them in the same order, so I know which window-tab to click on the taskbar if I want to get to a specific table to see some action if there's a key pot being contested. You do need to get familiar with using the tabs, because often times entire tables are covered, and you won't be able to click it on the screen if you want to without moving other tables around, which gets messy. If I'm feeling especially frisky, I'll set up Tables 13-16 similarly to 1-4 on the "inside" space left in the middle of the screen.

I couldn't do any more tables than 16 without button overlap, which would make it impossible not to misclick muliple times per set.

Other little tricks when playing that many tables - use the "autofold" buttons when you're dealt a hand on one the tables that happen to be on the top at the time if you know you're not playing those cards - that'll give you some time to observe other tables.

Also, once you're all-in, see what you're up against, then go back to your other games. It can be frustrating when you're in with KK against an opponents' 66 on Table 7, then Tables 2, 9, and 11 pop up and you play them, then Table 7 pops back up and says "UMTerp has completed this tournament in 5th Place". It works in reverse too though - that's fun. You really have to get emotionally unattached from everything. You do miss a lot of action though, so I would recommend spending an hour a night or something reviews hand histories when you're finished playing - both to critique your own play, and to pick up on tendencies of others regulars you encounter.

I dunno, it works for me, but some friends that have tried something similar seem to have difficulty with that much overlap.

So for your question, just stick one table in each corner of the screen, make sure the raise/fold buttons from various tables don't overlap, and have at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

u da man terp...that's crazy.

I just got 1900x1200 on my new lappy...I now 2 table with the lobbies open. no overlap. and that's on 2nd best resolution. I imagine you could go to 6 tables with minimal overlap.

I think seeing the games is huge. Terp plays turbos only (i believe) so reads/table posture becomes less important...you are playing very little in the way of post flop poker. Not to be critical...I love the turbos too. My point is, some formats of SNG lend themselves to needing to see whats going on even when you're not in the hand.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think seeing the games is huge. Terp plays turbos only (i believe) so reads/table posture becomes less important...you are playing very little in the way of post flop poker. Not to be critical...I love the turbos too. My point is, some formats of SNG lend themselves to needing to see whats going on even when you're not in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken - you're exactly right. The fast blind structure that eventually leads itself into a push/fold game for everyone from the bubble onward is the main reason I can pay minimal attention to the games and still maintain a healthy ROI. I try to pay attention as much as possible, but obviously I can't see everything with all that action going on. In a "regular" SNG with a slower blind structure, I don't think I'd be comfortable playing more than 6 at a time at anything higher than $33.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:12 PM

i do the same thing, but i am 60 tabling on a 12 inch monitor.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 PM

Hey terp is there anyway I could get a screenshot of you 12 tabling?