Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 AM

Default One Way Tickets And Extra Security Measures? Trip Planning

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning a trip this summer with some friends where we start by flying to San Francisco, spend a couple days there, trive to LA, spend a couple days there and then fly to Vegas for a weekend. To accomplish this, I had to book some one-way tickets. I heard doing this subjects you to additional security screening. Will having a sizeable wad of cash present problems? Usually I just put my wallet in my carry on bag when I go through screening and it's never been a problem (but I've never bought one-way tickets before). I just don't want them to think I'm a drug dealer or something.

Jeff
Old 05-04-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: One Way Tickets And Extra Security Measures? Trip Planning

Last summer I flew from Atlanta to Phoenix to Durango CO, back to Phoenix then on to Vegas before flying back to Atlanta.

They treated me as any other passenger. (The man with the rubber glove was surprisingly gentle) I didn't have a huge wad of cash, only a couple grand, and it didn't present a problem. How much are you planning on carrying?

Additional screening doesn't matter though. You aren't doing something stupid like carrying on drugs or something are you?

Seriously though, you shouldn't worry unless you are carrying like 10+Gs and don't plan on returning...then, yeah, that might look a little suspicious.

Also, you might want to consider American Express travelers checks. A lot smaller than cash, and less suspicious too. Either way, just make sure you get to the airport in time to cover any additional screening they may throw at you.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:21 AM

You never heard of credit cards or ATM cards?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Everyone,

I'm planning a trip this summer with some friends where we start by flying to San Francisco, spend a couple days there, trive to LA, spend a couple days there and then fly to Vegas for a weekend. To accomplish this, I had to book some one-way tickets. I heard doing this subjects you to additional security screening. Will having a sizeable wad of cash present problems? Usually I just put my wallet in my carry on bag when I go through screening and it's never been a problem (but I've never bought one-way tickets before). I just don't want them to think I'm a drug dealer or something.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took a couple one way flights and had no problem. I was probably only carrying 1g but they had no idea of course. they didn't treat me any differently because of the one way flight. I think if you pay in advance with a credit card you should be fine.

my little brother (15 at the time) once showed up at the airport an hour before the flight left, bought a one way ticket with cash, and had no luggage. Oh and did I mention he was 15 so all he has is a high school ID. That was funny.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 AM

LOL. I have, but I'd like to play decent limits in Vegas. $600 a day ain't gonna cover it. I was thinking of just wiring money to Bellagio...anyone ever do this? Easy? It would be fine b/c I'm not planning on playing poker in CA (I'm going with one friend who isn't a big gambler for that part).

Jeff
Old 05-04-2005, 10:43 AM

It would be somewhere between your number and 10k, but not over 10k. Don't worry, no drugs here...poker is my only vice. Traveling is kinda annoying cause you don't have a box, etc. I mean, if all my cash is in my wallet, they're prob not gonna go through my wallet right? We're not talking 8 $5k bundles or something.

Jeff
Old 05-04-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be somewhere between your number and 10k, but not over 10k. Don't worry, no drugs here...poker is my only vice. Traveling is kinda annoying cause you don't have a box, etc. I mean, if all my cash is in my wallet, they're prob not gonna go through my wallet right? We're not talking 8 $5k bundles or something.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any reason why they would go through your wallet. Try this site though, maybe it will help:

Transportation Security Administration

Have fun.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:16 AM

I got searched recently at an airport and had a lot of cash on me, they didn't say anything at all about it. if they ask, just tell them you're planning on going to vegas. it shouldn't be a big deal at all, as long as you're comfortable walking around with that amount.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-04-2005, 11:25 AM

it doesn't always subject you to the extra screening. if you get an "SSSS" on your boarding pass that means once you go through the metal detector and pass your bags through the x-ray they will take you aside and give you the extra scrutiny. the extra scrutinty includes opening your bags and searching the contents, patting you down, etc. there is some sort of formula for determining who gets the "SSSS" on their boarding pass, a one-way ticket is one variable in that formula that will increase your odds of getting singled out.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Never put your wallet or cash in carry-on baggage. It's far too easy for a team to delay you going through the metal detector, snatch your carry-on off the conveyor and disappear into the crowd before you know it's gone. I don't think either the airline or the government will consider themselves responsible. Your stuff, and money, is just gone.

Buy a vest, like a hunter's or photographer's, with lots of pockets with Velcro closures, and plastic zippers so it won't set off the metal detector. Fill the breast pockets with your cash and never take it off.