26-30% 2 3.33%
31-35% 3 5.00%
36-40% 9 15.00%
41-45% 23 38.33%
46+% 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Most influential series...

Okay, so I was looking up various release dates online today for some books and movies while procrastinating studying for a final, and I was reminded of the cult following that some of these books/movies have recieved. Many of these series have had quite an impact on american popculture. I am curious too about how widespread the popularity in other country's may be, as I am sorta trapped in an American perspective.

I am unsure as to whether movies or literature has more influence so I will include both. And I generalizing here.

Catch-
Old 05-03-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Most influential series...

Did you have a question? Most influential on who? In what way?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM

I didn't understand what you meant by influential exactly. I voted for Harry Potter becuase that series got kids reading again.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:29 PM

Harry Potter is crap.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:30 PM

Horrible poll.

Harry Potter wasn't really influential in any way.

Star Wars has done more to change the way movies are made than anything else. Citizen Kane was an effects masterpiece, but as you can see from the films made between 1941 and now it didn't have *that* much influence, though it's very appreciated by film buffs and seen as how movies should have been made in that regard.

LOTR hasn't had time to have much influence, but I'm confident that it will revolutionize the way that epic battle scenes are handled. Most of it had been done before, but at least that part will change the industry. It may even open the door for more 13 hour movies to be released.

~D
Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't understand what you meant by influential exactly. I voted for Harry Potter becuase that series got kids reading again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you realize how many potential empty nester parents did not get to fulfill that destiny because of Star Wars? The percentage of geeks living in their parents' basement skyrocketed after these movies came out.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harry Potter wasn't really influential in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say that? I guess you haven't seen Dynasty hanging around in his wazard hat & glasses.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you realize how many potential empty nester parents did not get to fulfill that destiny because of Star Wars? The percentage of geeks living in their parents' basement skyrocketed after these movies came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think mkore so than Trekkies? I figure these were just people that a generation before would have done the same thing wearing pointy rubber ears instead of a black helmet and cape.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:37 PM

it depends whether you mean LOTR the books or the movies. it is very unlikely history will show the LOTR movies as having as much influence as Star Wars. But it's hard to overestimate the impact of the original novels, as they changed the way fantasy (including Sci-Fi) is understood and created. Both Star Wars and Harry Potter have been influenced by the original LOTR.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it depends whether you mean LOTR the books or the movies. it is very unlikely history will show the LOTR movies as having as much influence as Star Wars. But it's hard to overestimate the impact of the original novels, as they changed the way fantasy (including Sci-Fi) is understood and created. Both Star Wars and Harry Potter have been influenced by the original LOTR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much what I was going to say. If you are talking about the LOTR books that is easily the correct choice.

Swede