Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Check this turn with top 2 HU?!?!?!

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Th 9h (one pair, nines).
Button doesn't show.
Hero has Kc Ah (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 5.50 BB. </font>

MP1 is an average player, but his main drawback is that he plays too many starting hands. I turned top two pair with AK, so I decided to check, hoping that he would bet if he had an A or that he would bet a weaker hand like KT, or T9s, trying to push me out, but I figured if I bet, he would probably fold, and if I checked, he would bet if he had much of a hand. A free card isn't too dangerous for me to give here I figured. And I also figured if he didn't have much, I could get him to make a crying call on the river.

Was this a bad play? should I have just kept betting?
Any takes on this? cus it worked this time, but I'm not sure if it was the right play in the long run?

then this is a conversation HE brought up, after the hand

john: good check
hero: really?
john: YES
hero: you would have folded to a turn bet?
john: yes
john: only had 9
hero: so i got an extra bet out of you?
john: yup
john: thought you had pocket pair
john: lol
hero: cool
hero: that's what i was going for
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Check this turn with top 2 HU?!?!?!

I just bet the turn. There aren't any draws really to worry about giving free cards, but too often they'll have a K or an A and you're just missing a BB by checking.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bet the turn. There aren't any draws really to worry about giving free cards, but too often they'll have a K or an A and you're just missing a BB by checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good point, that probably happens more often, then the extra bet I squeezed out of this guy in this situation, in the long run it's probably more profitable to just bet it, hoping they have any A or K I guess
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 PM

I like it a lot if your opponent is at least somewhat aggressive (if he bets you are going to check/raise I hope). If he is a callingbox then it is just better to bet since you will pick up 1 BB per street. This type of play is good if your villian...

- Will probably fold a 2 outer if you bet (same if he is drawing dead).
- Might bet that 2 outer if you check to him (or bet drawing dead).
- Will call the river UI if he checks the turn through to make sure you aren't bluffing.

Brad
Old 05-02-2005, 07:56 PM

The board is about as drawless as it can get, but I still think you will be missing bets in the long run by getting tricky in these spots. You will get called by an ace or a king close to always, and often enough by some fish with a 9 or 4.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM

yeah, you're right... I generally think you're right, I think the only spot where it would be better to check it, would be if the villan is super overly aggresive, AND would call my checkraise .