Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 06:02 PM

Default UTG A9o, then a few questions

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

First off, i'm wondering whether or not it is better to raise this when im UTG looking for a flop? I've done both, but i've never clearly read what way is +ev in what situation. Play at this table was extremely loose, and this move(which i wouldn't have done a week ago) seemed right.

My second question comes on the river play. Considering the preflop raise, i felt either one of them could have a higher two pair with AJ, but is calling the right answer here?

Any input appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: UTG A9o, then a few questions

I would certainly bet the turn here. Your hand figures to be good since no one raised on the flop (which might suggest that they have top pair). The 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] didn't appear to help anyone, so I would certainly follow through with a bet here as you don't want to give a free card to something like KQ. On the river, it looks like MP might have made aces up. If he had AJ you would have heard from him on the flop/turn. Since he didn't bet/raise either of the prior 2 streets, it looks like he might have a hand like A7 or even just a pair of aces with AT or whatever. This looks to be a clear re-raise.

Brad
Old 04-30-2005, 06:21 PM

You bring a good point, about no reraising from MP on the flop or betting the turn. I dont know why that didn't dawn on me.

The follow up bet feels clear as day, in hindsight. Usually i do that, but i felt locked in a clutch when it came to that many callers on a hand i wasn't even positive was right to raise PF. One of the few remaining where i'm still quite unsure when i should do what with it.

Thank you though, i think you're right in every respect.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:48 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

This belongs in SH, but bet the turn and i would 3-bet the river.