Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Multi-Table SNG Tourney Concept

I realize this is pretty pie-in-the-sky, but maybe some site like Stars might try it someday. This bears some similarity to a double freeze-out and to Party’s Steps tourneys, but is significantly different. I think SNG fans would love this (I know I would).

Basic concept: a multi-table tourney where each table is played like an sng with the top 3 finishers at each table moving on to the next round. Players accumulate points each round based on their finish.

Example. I think this could work with 81 or more players, but the more the players, the more rounds, the more interesting, so let’s use 1000 players who have paid $10 to enter for my example.

Round 1: 100 tables of 10 players each. Each table plays a single table tourney. 1st place: 5 points; 2nd: 3 pts; 3rd: 2pts. Top 3 finishers move on to next round. All other finishers get 0 pts and are out of the tournament.

Round 2: Players who finished top 3 in Round 1 are now randomly placed at new tables and given equal #’s of chips. This round: 30 tables of 10 players. Each table plays another single table tourney. 1st place: 10 points; 2nd: 6 pts; 3rd: 4pts. Other finishers are eliminated from tourney and paid off according to how many points they have already accumulated (see below for details and this applies to all subsequent rounds).

Round 3: Rinse, repeat. Now 9 tables of 10 players. 1st place: 15 points; 2nd: 9 pts; 3rd: 6pts.

Round 4: 3 tables of 9. 1st place: 20 points; 2nd: 12 pts; 3rd: 8pts.

Final Round: 1 table of 9. 1st place: 40 points; 2nd: 24 pts; 3rd: 16pts.

Payouts. A player is paid according to this formula: P*$/TP (# of Points a player accumulated multiplied by Prize Pool divided by Total Points awarded to all players). So in our example in round one 1000 pts were awarded; round two: 600 pts; round three: 270 pts; round four: 120 pts; final round: 80 pts. Total points awarded: 2070. Prize pool: $10,000. Therefore, each point is worth $4.83. A players payout is accumulated points multiplied by $4.83. So if our Hero won round one (5pts), got 3rd round 2 (4 pts); got 2nd round 3 (9pts); won round 4 (20 pts); and got 4th in the final round (0 pts, goddamn bubble), the total points would be 38 pts, for 38*4.83 = $183.54. If a player won each round, the payout would be 80*$4.83 for $386.40. If a player got 3rd in each round the payout would be 36*$4.83 for $173.88. Note that this is a very flat payout structure for a 1000 player tournament, but it is completely in keeping with standard sng payout structures. I gave some premium, but not a lot to making the final 3 players. The details of this are open to debate.

Details/Potential Concerns:

Odd (non-multiple of 10) #’s of players. All tables would begin with either 9 or 10 players (this might not be true in the last 2 rounds—I can see 8 handed tables cropping up in various scenarios: an algorithm would be written to optimize fairness). Obviously it is an advantage to be at a 9 player table when others in the same round are at 10 player tables, but, as this would be randomly determined, it would be fair.

Waiting for tables to finish: the first table to finish in a round might have a significant wait until the next round started. I think if this is made clear to players in the signup process and that the entire tourney could last 5 hours or more, this won’t be an issue. A break should be given between rounds so that the last table to finish still gets a little break.

Why this would be popular: sngs are very popular. This has the appeal of an sng with the excitement of an MTT. Also, the fact that you start with a fresh slate each round is appealing. You squeak out a 3rd in one round, but the next round you all get equal chips and you have a fresh start to try and win the round.

Comments welcome. If anyone actually implements this, feel free to call them Bump tourneys.

Regards, Fraubump
Old 04-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Multi-Table SNG Tourney Concept

I wouldn't want to have to win 5 tables for a max payout of $380. 38 buyins for absolute pwnage (which I'd say winning 5 tables qualifies as) is crap.

Cool idea though.