Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Default LAG decision????

Long time lurker first time poster.

Table was playing uber tight so I switched into ultra LAG mode...mainly trying to agitate the table enough to pay off my hands. Mostly I have been taking down the pots on the flop.

Villian is a weak player IMHO. Saw him "slow play" bottom set on a two to the flush and two to a str8 board, limp KK utg, etc. I have been raising to isolate him frequently and almost always raise his blind.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($580.4)
SB ($104.2)
Hero ($442.6)
UTG ($294.8)
MP ($430)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $8, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($30) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $25</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $420</font>.

Final Pot: $52

Does anyone call here?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: LAG decision????

No.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 PM

what are your reasons for not calling? What hands do you see villain playing like this? I called.

When he practically min raised me from the button I was immediately suspicous. Any big hand and I think villain would either blow me away or just call to trap me, as i have been very agressive.

When he pots the flop I am reading him as whiffed paint. If he has an overpair he defenitely checks to me and gives me a chance to bet, again, as i have shown i will do. I think he takes the same line with a set. He might bet top pair, although i doubt as much as he will think he is trapping me with TP*K; however, he defenitely wont raise me when I show so much strength as he feels again like he is trapping the LAG.

When he came over the top all in I was almost certain he was trying to blow me off my hand or what he thought was my bluff. I am putting him on middle pair here or worse. I figure he is drawing to five or six outs and feel like i have a huge edge here.

Am I the only one who trusts their read here and calls. Any comments appreciated.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 PM

I think you need get out of the kiddie pool and make some moves. You are a god.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was almost certain he was trying to blow me off my hand or what he thought was my bluff. I am putting him on middle pair here or worse. I figure he is drawing to five or six outs and feel like i have a huge edge here.

[/ QUOTE ]

convenient
Old 04-29-2005, 10:30 PM

what do you mean strassa2?

What would you have done here?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 PM

Listen,

If he's bluffing and you decide he is and you call then great. But how do you really expect anyone to give you decent advice here when all you are doing in this hand is making a severe GANGSTA call based on some read that apparently has come out of no where?

Nice hand, I mean Im positive you ended up winning, ane welcome to the forums [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-Jason
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Strassa. While I expected to see middle pair or overcards villain actually turned over A 6 offsuit...merry christmas? lol.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have been questioning my call b/c I have read 100 times "don't lose your stack with a pair," "there are better spots for your money," etc. Just curious if anyone else makes that call.

Looking forward to many posts in the future.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:45 AM

you put over 100 BB's into the pot on a flop against an admittedly weak/tight player who pushes after you check-raise him with top pair bad kicker, i mean i dont have a good enough word in my vocabulary to describe how bad that play is.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you put over 100 BB's into the pot on a flop against an admittedly weak/tight player who pushes after you check-raise him with top pair bad kicker, i mean i dont have a good enough word in my vocabulary to describe how bad that play is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I basically think you're right, one shouldn't underestimate how tilted weak-tight people can get when a LAG continually beats them in pots. I say that after having watched my weak-tight friend take a beating from a LAG in the 15/30 limit game. Severe overplaying can certainly occur, and also desperate, badly executed bluffs (they aren't good bluffers since they're weak tight).