Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Coaching

I'm curious how many people have either coached or been coached in SNG play? And I mean directly, not the obvious 'coaching' that takes place on the forums here. How do these arrangements come about and how do they usually work? I've often thought I could make a significant jump in my play quality if I could just get someone to concentrate on my game for a couple hours and yell at me for all the stupid stuff I do.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Coaching

i kinda coached my roomate to play. plus i get some people to look at my hand histories every once in a while and i do the same for them. helps keep our games sharp. holla
Old 04-29-2005, 09:46 AM

How about this for a way to get "coached" for free?:
Pull down tournament histories for the SnG's that you play;
Check-out how the players who lasted longer than you played
Old 04-29-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about this for a way to get "coached" for free?:
Pull down tournament histories for the SnG's that you play;
Check-out how the players who lasted longer than you played

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I saw something about that in another thread and thought about it. But the real problem with this (and with analyzing my own play), is that I don't have enough perspective yet to make judgements. You can't just say, 'this person went out after me, therefore I should emulate how they played.' People who play worse than me bust me out of tournaments all the time. Also, most of the time I don't get to see the hands that other [good] people are playing with, because so much of the play is wrapped up in blind stealing.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:04 AM

You should just PM a poster that you respect and ask nicely if they would look at your games and/or send you some of their tournaments.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:05 AM

No!...The real problem is that it requires work & I'm sure that you don't want to do any of that....I got what I deserved for trying to make a meaningful reply to your question [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should just PM a poster that you respect and ask nicely if they would look at your games and/or send you some of their tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the over/under on 2 people that'll pm you soon because of this post Phil. Might be too low though... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No!...The real problem is that it requires work & I'm sure that you don't want to do any of that....I got what I deserved for trying to make a meaningful reply to your question [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. Everything I said was correct: just because someone lasted longer than you doesn't mean you should emulate their play. I'm not saying I can't learn anything from them. I do review my hand histories. But you know what? When I look at someone else's play, I can't ask them WHY they did what they did. I can't ask them, 'over the 1000 times that you make this play, what results do you see'. Most of the people I've never played at a table before, so I have no idea if they are just playing their first SNG ever or their 500th or their 5000th.

So sorry that I didn't say, 'Wow that's the greatest suggestion ever, even though it's a complete sidetrack that doesn't answer the question that I posted.'
Old 04-29-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was worried that I'd be pestering people. I've gotta think that 'those people' are badgered by people a lot and I didn't want to be presumptuous. Maybe I'll think about doing this.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Studying good players is a good suggestion. However...

There is a pretty obvious sample size problem in choosing people who lasted longer than you in one tournament. You're very likely going to end up studying mostly players that suck hiney.

eastbay