Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Default What to do during a downswing

Well, after killing the game for about 500 games I hit a pretty significant downswing. I am down 25 buyins in the $215's in the last 150 dames or so. I feel as if I have been playing well but I always seem to lose coin flips and I seem to ALWAYS lose to 3 outers. So far today, out of about 35 games, I have had 1 first. That is HORRIBLE. I guess I am wondering if this is a "normal" downswing. At what point do you move down or leave sngs all together? I still have about 100 buyins or so sitting in neteller, so I am not really in the need of money. I have considered changing my name as some people are now calling me with absolute trash, which happens to be better than the trash I push with. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Jcardshark
Old 04-28-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: What to do during a downswing

...and it starts. Review your hh's, keep enough to handle the swings in your poker account, and do NOT change your play if it's been working. Don't worry about it since it's probably normal.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 PM

myself and my friend are doing alittle better than this but not much. My ROI in the last 3 days I am luck if it's 10% Seems the coin flips are like double headed coins and I alwasy have tails.

Advise to you is dont shy away from your game. Dont try and make things happen because you are losing. I have done this and overplayed myself and thats just -EV. Keep at it and if you are a winning sng'er it will change for you. How I break out of streaks is I keep playing. Today I played 60 sng's and yesterday 70 all 4 tabling. started HORRIBLY both days and endd up with a small profit after I was done for the day.

Stick with it and it will change.

Meh...

Your not in much of a downswing yet....

But, the good news is that the true 'pro' part of your playing career has started!

This is an exciting time and I wish you luck! (and fortitude for the vicissitudes)

Yugoslav

NOrmal part of a SNG, but changing your name would be a way to go... But most would agree, at the $215's this is a very normal downswing. Gigabet-- one of the best SNG players-- had a 50 buyin downswing when he was moving up. Don't sweat it, play your normal game, maybe take a break if it's getting to ya. Do what YOU feel would make you most comfortable. There are players here, (raptor) who have broken even for 700 straight sitngos... the variance in SNG's is the lowest than any other form of poker, but stillhigh nonetheless. GL, and best wishes... got any tips for me 'cuz i'm movin up to the $55's
Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the variance in SNG's is the lowest than any other form of poker, but stillhigh nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

while they are lower than cash games, a party S&G has a high variance compared to a t1500 one. Also, I am by far knowledgeable on this, but how great is the variance on MTT's? the fact that cashing once gives you MANY times your buyin makes me wonder....
Old 04-28-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

while they are lower than cash games, a party S&G has a high variance compared to a t1500 one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really...

<font color="white">
Only b/c you can maintain a higher ITM/ROI on PokerStars...it has nothing really to do with more or fewer chips. Given the same ITM/ROI, the variance would be more or less the same.
</font>

Yugoslav
Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 AM

Nah, variance will always be lower with more chips. If every SNG started with 1,000,000 chips and the same blinds, fish would almost never win.

The question is *how much* it's lower by. Probably not that big a difference, but it's at least a couple of percent here and there.

(It has to do with the size of the stacks when the bubble hits - when the chip leader has 6 BB and you have 4, hitting a 20 SNG streak of 53o's is a lot worse than when the chip leader has 20 and you have 15.)
Old 04-29-2005, 12:03 AM

Enjoy some of that money.

I've found that trying to play through a downswing can be mentally destructive, bankroll destructive and -EV long term as it'll make you view the game as more of a 'grind' and like your job.

When i start to feel the bad beats coming and like the tsunami is on its way, I unplug the computer, cashout all money in my accounts and take a trip...i did it last weekend as a matter of fact...started to run bad, so i took a trip with a buddy to TJ for the weekend and we had a blast. I played 1/2 a set in an internet cafe on the last day, and won both tournies, and i could feel it coming back. This week was a phenomenal one at the tables for me.

So my advice...take some of that 20k and go to Cancun, or Vegas or NYC or back home or ANYWHERE except where you normally play your SNG's.

Andre
Old 04-29-2005, 12:07 AM

The beauty of working for yourself is having the abilty to take time off like degen said. Just relax, go to the bars, go for a run, get off your arse.