Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Default First hand, BB, top and bottom pair

Ok, so maybe a check-raise wasn't the best plan, but given that I went for it, now what?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

First hand, so all stacks are t800

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t90) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t60</font>, UTG+2 calls t60, MP1 calls t60, Button folds, SB calls t60, Hero ???
Old 04-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: First hand, BB, top and bottom pair

C/R is a lovely plan and you couldn't have asked for a better result. I don't see the problem...
Old 04-28-2005, 05:47 PM

The pot is nice and juicy and you want to shut out the draws. Raise all-in. It's slightly more likely that you'll run into top two/a set since you have the Ad, but I think you'll get called by hands like bottom two and Ax often enough to make the play solidly profitable.

Nice avatar
Old 04-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Check-Raise backfired here. It got messy with everyone calling because it is a draw heavy board. Your probably ahead, but AT is possible. Your gonna get called by anyone with two diamonds or even an open-ender. The only good thing is you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I think your stuck, but you could call and bet into a safe turn card. If you raise all-in you could get too many callers. Considering all the bad players havent been knocked out yet.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:02 PM

You think it's too risky to raise to like 400?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Why encourage flush draws to call you? There pot is already big enough at 330 that you would prefer to win it right there. Raising to 400 pot-commits you anyway, so just push and give someone with a draw a chance to make a mistake by calling you.

I wouldn't be too worried about losing hands like Ax. I actually think pushing makes it easier for them to call you, as they're likely to put you on a flush draw.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:38 PM

bingo. ilya hits this one on the nose. go ahead and shove. you wont be up against A10 because they would have raised. you are VERY likely FAR ahead right now. shove. holla
Old 04-28-2005, 06:42 PM

all in
Old 04-28-2005, 06:42 PM

I dunno, I guess not. Just a thought, but if you bet enough you are still making cEV anyway off of a flush draw and you can get other wierdos to either call you or reraise.

I had no thought of letting go of the hand.

edit: Especially this early in the tournament I think Ax is more likely to call half an allin. They may think the push is a flush draw, but they don't usually call it.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why encourage flush draws to call you? There pot is already big enough at 330 that you would prefer to win it right there. Raising to 400 pot-commits you anyway, so just push and give someone with a draw a chance to make a mistake by calling you.I wouldn't be too worried about losing hands like Ax. I actually think pushing makes it easier for them to call you, as they're likely to put you on a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]I kinda thought you were going to say that. I realized this too late (after I'd check-raised to 350). I picked up not one but two callers and shoving in my last 400-odd chips on the turn blank couldn't shake either one. The diamond on the river sealed my fate.I'll just write this off as a $33 lesson (and my shortest SnG ever).