Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 AM

Default help when big stack

Help me out here. I'm having a lot of trouble when I build up a big stack. When do you back off/ gamble in these situations. The example is just one. I normally try and push around the short stacks too, but it just seems like with 4 to 6 left, I can't win a hand. HELP

Thanks,
Rick

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter

CO (t810)
Button (t1360)
Hero (t2865)
BB (t2430)
UTG (t1555)
MP (t980)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, BB calls t300.

Flop: (t1000) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t425</font>, BB calls t425.

Turn: (t1850) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (t1850) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: t1850
Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: help when big stack

bump
Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 AM

First of all, I wouldn't call that a "big" stack. Second, I think you played that hand ok.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 AM

I wouldn't be trying to butt heads with the other big stack at the table right now. I would raise more preflop and try to take it down right there - 3-4xBB. Flop play is very read dependent. Against typical players, I would probably bet about 1/2 of the pot and shut down if called or fold if re-raised.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Why not just complete and see if you flop your set?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:29 AM

hrm, everyone seemse to be playing very weak here. I like to make a fat raise to 1000, and then fold if pushed back at, or push any flop if called. I like to put my palm over my monitor so i do not see the flop, and push blind. This increases your stack considerably if he calls and folds. Just keep the pressure on, and eventually u will nickle and dime him to death. O, and please please please, do NOT bet less than the preflop bet, bet at least 500.

That's another line i like to take on the bubble if both have &gt; 12xBB. Min raise, and then bet 2x BB on flop-- shutdown if called and u don't have anything.

Someone correct me if these lines are too risky, or u can find a better more orthodox one.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hrm, everyone seemse to be playing very weak here. I like to make a fat raise to 1000, and then fold if pushed back at

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you bet 2/3 of your already hurting stack with the intention of folding to any raise?

Edit: my bad, was thinking of another post where hero only had 1500... sorry
Old 04-28-2005, 12:10 PM

This was just an example of where you have the bigger stack. In another game I was sitting with almost 4000 chips with 6 left. Took 3 decent hands to put me out in 5th. (I was ahead preflop in all 3 hands, but lost all, which seems to be a very common thing) So my question is, at what point do you just shut down and wait. Or do you?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-28-2005, 12:28 PM

You played the hand fine, I would just raise more preflop. Your raise says "I want to take down the blinds but don't want a real fight." If you make a nice raise to 600-700 (1k is a bit over the top IMO), he won't try to peek at a flop. If he still calls you, I would give up unless the flop is favorable (low cards) or sets me. If ATx flops I would just concede the hand and save my chips, as any continuation bet hurts you... a lot.

-Kings