Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Let\'s re-raise an all-in with 55 on the bubble!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter

Hero (t1585)
SB (t2026)
BB (t1660)
UTG (t605)
MP (t2124)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t605 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold
Old 04-28-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Let\'s re-raise an all-in with 55 on the bubble!

Not a terrible idea to push, but it looks like you can get into the money without a showdown probably so I would fold this and steal like crazy from the dudes on my left.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a terrible idea to push, but it looks like you can get into the money without a showdown probably so I would fold this and steal like crazy from the dudes on my left.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you fold this?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think folding is the right move too, since he's likely facing a coinflip at best, and it's very likely that both blinds will defend, and almost certain that at least one will. Of course, this means your opposition might double up and put you in danger if he has a hand and the blinds are calling w/any two, and of course you'll probably have a good shot at winning a big pot if the blinds fold their $450 investment to your push, so I dunno.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:48 AM

Looks like the short stack's impending demise could get him in the money by the skin of his teeth, but ... my thought is he's probably not going to get a better hand to push with than this for a while.

What you advise is definitely the safer course. But it's hard for me to reconcile passing up a relatively good situation while crossing your fingers that you'll both bump into a better situation later and that the short stack will actually go out. Some times those guys find a way to stay alive. Those chips would be pretty nice to pick up, and hero is about to lose roughly a third of his stack as the blinds pass him, too.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the blinds are going to tighten up here. He's got close to anytwo here and you're getting great pot odds. Stealing from CO is overvalued. Co+1 requires a decent hand. So you'll just blind down.

How can you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think folding is the right move too, since he's likely facing a coinflip at best, and it's very likely that both blinds will defend, and almost certain that at least one will. Of course, this means your opposition might double up and put you in danger if he has a hand and the blinds are calling w/any two, so I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 AM

you're at 5BB. you're at a coin flip, at best.

if you call and lose, you're down to 3BB. you then will have 2 hands left before you're the blind and lose folding equity.

i would fold, and steal blinds over losing folding equity.

Now the question is what would you do if you had 77/88/99??
Old 04-28-2005, 01:15 PM

First of all, please note that it's not literally *the bubble.* There are 5 players left.

I think a key consideration in this hand is that if I fold, one of the blinds is bound to call UTG's all-in, and I'll be getting a free chance at seeing another player eliminated.
OTOH! The pot is laying me 1.75:1 and I've gotta say I think my 55 is a favorite against UTG's range. Those are some pretty sweet odds.
OTOH! One way to get an intuition about this hand is to imagine that I was actually in the BB, closing the action after UTG pushes and everyone else folds. Then, ask how many BB UTG would have to have for me to have the same pot odds in that situation as I do here. The answer in this case is about 4.25BB (i.e. 3.25 for me to call in the BB). I'm not sure this gives me a better intuition though!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:28 PM

Push.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:54 PM

With 1055 in the pot and just 605 to call, you are getting the odds you need - push to isolate.

You may be dominated, probably a coinflip, but there is the outside chance he's on A2-A5, which would be great.

Sam