Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2002, 11:21 PM

Default NL Blinds to (buy-in) chip stack Ratios???

Hi all, we play a lot of NL home games and are experimenting with different blinds:chip stack ratios.
An example would be 2000 chips to start with blinds at 25 and 50. This makes the SB 1.25% and the BB 2.5% of the initial chip stack. Has any1 ever given this thought as to what will make a challenging longish night of poker? and if so please post what you use! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 06:20 AM

Default Re: NL Blinds to (buy-in) chip stack Ratios???

if you're playing cash (i'm not sure if you're referring to cash game or a tournament) i think you need more chips relative to the blinds. in our home game the minimum sit-down is 100 times the bb; a lot of people buy in for 200 or more. however, we play pot-limit, where more chips allows for more play at the end. in nl, if people are moving in a lot regardless of blind sizes, i suppose there's less point in having huge stacks.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:15 PM

Default If your playing cash games............

I recomend having buy-ins between 100-500 times the blind. For example .05-.10 blinds with $5-$25 buy-ins. I played in .25-.25 Pot-limit hold em home game a few times with $20-100 buy in(80-400x the blind). You want enough on the table to play the hand all the way through when you got a monster.