Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2002, 04:48 PM

Default show your damn cards or muck them

the post right beneath this prompted this rant.

Anybody get pissed when this happens:

You call a bluff on the end and the guy holds his cards like he's ready to muck them waiting for you to show. Then there is this awkward pause as you're waiting for him to show first because YOU called. I want to scream, "I called you now show your fricken cards or muck them a-hole!" but I usually just show and he mucks cause I don't think it's good to have anybody at the table angry at you specifically.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:01 PM

Default AMEN!

Old 11-14-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: show your damn cards or muck them

Nope, I just sit there and wait for him to show. If it goes more than a few seconds, I'll say "Let's see what you have." I couldn't care less if someone gets upset at me for waiting, I just tell them "I called him, he has to show first, so get mad at him" [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 05:44 PM

Poker is a game of incomplete information. Any time I show first in a situation like that (calling down a bluff) I feel like I just gave the guy a free lunch.

If he is too embarrassed to show his cheese then he should stop trying to take me off my hand =) To me it's part of the game. If the bluffer is holding the game by not showing, it's his problem.

Old 11-14-2002, 06:52 PM

"but I usually just show and he mucks "

Don't do this. Make him show. It's the only way he will change. I'm sure he does this to other players and they won't like it either.

When this happens to me I just sit there. I don't move, don't say anything. A lot of times they motion or gesture for me to turn my cards over. Don't acknowledge the gesture. Eventually the dealer will get involved and the bettor will look stupid. Everybody at the table will know whose fault it is.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:35 PM

i wait for them to show their hand, and if they sit there waiting for me, i'll show and then i'll tell the dealer i want to see their hand. i think it's much more embarrasing for the dealer to turn over the cards and announce the hand to everyone.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:53 PM

lol thats a good idea [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 12:57 PM

The dealer's there for a reason. Wait for the dealer to ask to see the cards. If another player gets upset, tell him you called and are waiting to be shown the 'winning hand' [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] .
Old 11-15-2002, 01:28 PM

Since you post here, I assume that your goal is to make your moves as profitable as possible. If I want the guy to keep bluffing into me, because I have a good read on him, then I just usually call out my hand verbally, he mucks and I show. If I want to slow him down because I'm having trouble reading him, I just quietly wait until the dealer has him turn over. If I want to get him angry and maybe on tilt, you could try the show-your-hand-and-ask-the-dealer-to-show-his move, although I usually wouldn't do this.

But it sounds to me like he's having a bigger impact on you. It could be that his tricky play is getting to you. Be careful not to let these frustrations mess up your play against such people.