Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 10:59 AM

Default what is the best software to learn a language

i am going to japan on business in about 1 month. i know zero japanese but i figure that in a month i could at least begin to learn some basic phrases that might help me while i am out there. there are a bunch of software programs that claim to be very good, has anybody tried any of these?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: what is the best software to learn a language

Funny you posted this. I was just seconds ago on eBay looking at Rosetta Stone Spanish software, which I've heard is the best. There are also some knock-offs available at about half the price. I'll probably take the risk and go with a knock off. But I would also like to hear suggestions from anyone here?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 AM

wow, i too have been looking at this same software within the last day or two, looking at the chinese one. i have also heard it is the best, and my friend is learning italian with it and he is coming along pretty good after only a week.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny you posted this. I was just seconds ago on eBay looking at Rosetta Stone Spanish software, which I've heard is the best. There are also some knock-offs available at about half the price. I'll probably take the risk and go with a knock off. But I would also like to hear suggestions from anyone here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am convinced that Spanish is the easiest foreign language to learn.

Get this:

Teach yourself Spanish

"This is not the "painless" learning method everyone wants but for those who want to be able to say more than "Quiero una agua fria" - this book is for you."

Couple that with a good Spanish-English/English-Spanish dictionary and you will be golden.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:38 PM

It's not software but I would recommend the Pimsleur series of CDs. They're expensive but well worth it IMO.

Since you only have a month, you could augment it with vocabulary from books or software, but the first volume (30 lessons) would get you accustomed to hearing and speaking.

I have used the first Chinese Mandarin volume and felt that, while I was doing it, I could speak and understand the words I knew better than I ever could after 3 years of "university-style" russian. Of course, I knew more russian vocab and grammar rules, but that's to be expected.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:40 PM

Rosetta Stone is strong. I have both the Mandarin and German versions. It pretty much replicates the way you would learn a new language as a child. Its pricey but I recommend it. Now, I return to lurk mode.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:53 PM

go to Barnes & Noble, the Living Language series has great stuff to teach any language (i used it for japanese).