Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 12:43 AM

Default World War I & II Question

When were World War I and World War II first called by those names?

I'm sure in 1914, nobody was referring to WWI by that name. Who thought it would last so long and be so impactful? In 1918, who thought there would be a sequel requiring it to be called WWI?

If you can provide any links, it would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: World War I & II Question

I may be wrong and I am trying to look it up now but I thought the world wars were referred to as such while in progress.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
World War #

One question that pops up on this site's discussion forum from time to time is when did World War I get its number? When did people start to refer to that war as the first (as opposed to only)?

The term world war dates to 1909, but obviously in a generic sense and not prophetically. The use of world war to refer to the 1914-18 war began as early as 1914. The name First World War, specifically referring to the 1914-18 war, is from from 1931. Again, this is not prophecy, only the sad realization that it was certainly not the "war to end all wars."

Similarly, the first use of World War 2 is from 1919, again in reference to a hypothetical future war. The 1939-45 war was first referred to as World War II in September 1939.

The term Great War dates to 1887 in reference to the Napoleonic Wars. Use in reference to the 1914-18 war is from 1914.
(Source: Oxford English Dictionary)

[/ QUOTE ]

from Here
Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 AM

I had always thought WWI was referred to, at the time it was being fought, at The Great War. And the reference to is as WWI came retroactively when WWII broke out.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:38 AM

An excellent read:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...658717-6022256

natedogg
Old 04-26-2005, 02:52 AM

Default World War: The Prequel

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure in 1914, nobody was referring to WWI by that name.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was been called The Great War, because it was bigger and more bloody than any other war in history. A little more than twenty years after it ended, the sequel was released, with great anticipation.

[ QUOTE ]
In 1918, who thought there would be a sequel requiring it to be called WWI?

[/ QUOTE ]
Albert Einstein was once asked what weapons he thought that people would use if another world war would break out. He answered that he did not know about the weapons of WW III but he sure knew for sure the weapons that would be used in World War IV:
wooden sticks.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: World War: The Prequel

Albert Einstein was once asked what weapons he thought that people would use if another world war would break out. He answered that he did not know about the weapons of WW III but he sure knew for sure the weapons that would be used in World War IV:

yadda yadda

Einstein should have stuck to science. His assumptions: a) that WWIII would be an all-out nuclear exchange, and b) given that assumption, that all ability to produce more advanced weapons than sticks *and* the knowledge of how to make such weapons would be lost, are faulty logic, to say the least.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: World War: The Prequel

[ QUOTE ]

wooden sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus,
you just referenced a jewish zionist, i think you need to take a shower now
Old 04-27-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Your signal is getting noisy

[ QUOTE ]
Einstein should have stuck to science.

[/ QUOTE ]You really think that your comments on politics are more intellignet, I'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]
His assumptions: a) that WWIII would be an all-out nuclear exchange ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
...and b) given that assumption, that all ability to produce more advanced weapons than sticks *and* the knowledge of how to make such weapons would be lost, are faulty logic, to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ] He didn't say that! You have misunderstood Einstein. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And in case you feel part of a large crowd, realize that what he said was actually pretty simple. Let me explain Einstein, Einstein! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] World War Three would be so devastating to humanity and the planet that the surviving humans would be reduced to a state of primitive beings, at best, able to fight only with sticks! And since the remaining humans would be inevitably very few in number, the next war between those humans would be literally a world war.

I think you need to turn the cone of your spacecraft around a bit.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Your signal is getting noisy

Even humans reduced to 'primitive status' would/could make simple tools and engage in war with more than just 'sticks'. The problem is taking what Einstein said in too literal a fashion and not allowing for a poetic license - The general intent of his point is obvious.

These types of foggy notions creep into many individuals’ interpretations of Einstein’s (and/or other famous persons) comments on a variety of subjects.

-Zeno