Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Default AK hand

MGM 4/8 game this past weekend.
I raise UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],folded to UTG +3 (a fishy redneck guy) who cold calls, UTG + 4 (seems like a pretty good player) 3 bets, button calls 3 cold (youngish guy who just started playing), I call (probably should 4 bet?), fishy redneck guy calls two more.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I lead out, fishy redneck guy calls, good player raises, button calls, I re-raise, redneck guy folds, good player re-raises, button calls, I call.

Turn: (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, good player raises, button calls, I call.

At this point the only hand I can put the good player on is pocket 8's. I believe the button probably has the case ace, and is timid from all the action. Should I have slowed down before this point? When I got raised on the turn, I figured I was beat but had to call trying for the full because of the size of the pot.

River: (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, good player bets, button calls, I call.
I was sure I was beat here, but I still called. Would anyone fold here?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: AK hand

I woudln't have slowed down nearly as quickly as you did. The good player could only have 88 to beat you and I'm not sure good players 3 bet that to an UTG TAG raise. More than likely I'd have capped the flop and bet out on the turn hoping to juice the pot for a split.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:29 AM

The good player had to be putting me on a big ace, and I don't believe he would have raised preflop with A8, so he either had to have 88 or AK. But I was putting the guy on the button on the ace since the flop really had no draws, and if that was the case the good player had to have eights. At least that's how I was reading it, and I was convinced I was beat, but I couldn't lay it down. I guess what I'm asking is are any of you guys confident enough in your read in this situation to lay it down, or is it not possible to be this certain (if I would have laid it down and he flipped AK or AQ I would have been sick).
Old 04-26-2005, 06:06 PM

bump
Old 04-26-2005, 06:13 PM

Cap the flop. Not a big deal that you didn't though.

I 3bet the turn, especially because of the presence of the button. Would this good player 3bet eights preflop? You may be chopping with AK, but you're beating AQ. I figure if the button is aggro enough to be 3betting 8's there, then he's probably aggro enough to play this way with AK and AQ. Since the button is in the hand you only need to have a bit more than 1/3 equity against your oppponents range of hands to make a 3bet correct.

Don't ever ever ever fold this river.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:23 PM

Would this good player 3bet eights preflop?
I think he would due to the fishy coldcaller between us. He probably wanted to get it three way, and figured if rags flop he could get me to lay down overcards and the fishy guy would pay off with a worse hand. The young guy on the button really seemed like he was calling down with a worse ace (I was just getting a strong vibe that he had something like AJ).
Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would this good player 3bet eights preflop?
I think he would due to the fishy coldcaller between us. He probably wanted to get it three way, and figured if rags flop he could get me to lay down overcards and the fishy guy would pay off with a worse hand. The young guy on the button really seemed like he was calling down with a worse ace (I was just getting a strong vibe that he had something like AJ).

[/ QUOTE ]

If your read is that the button most likely has an ace, and wouldn't make the same calldown with QQ and JJ, then calling down is better. But don't fold.