Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Newbie Limit player needs direction how to play NL SnGs

hey, i usually play Limit Ring games, and have played a couple Limit and NL SnGs at Paradise Poker but have never won- the $5+$1 NL tables they have.

i saw a posting here awhile ago about how to beat $10+$1, but can't find it again. but i usually am pretty tight Level1-4, but once it gets down to like 5-man, i always fall apart, plus i have no real betting strategy at all. it's pretty random from there on in.

what's a good book to start with, if there are any SnG tracking programs or can i use PokerTracker, which i have, and if anybody knows where that "how to beat $10+$1" posting is, that'd be great.

thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Newbie Limit player needs direction how to play NL SnGs

The two best books that will help with one table SNG's are Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and Harrington on Hold Em.

However, your best resource in the world for learning how to beat these is right here in this forum.

Or my brain. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2005, 12:27 PM

well i'll be reading the boards, but i don't want to keep putting $$ in these SnG and keep losing, so i won't be posting any hands for awhile.

i know, i know, i'll still lose, but right now i have no betting strategy or real hand strategies. i'll check out those books, thanx.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well i'll be reading the boards, but i don't want to keep putting $$ in these SnG and keep losing, so i won't be posting any hands for awhile.

i know, i know, i'll still lose, but right now i have no betting strategy or real hand strategies. i'll check out those books, thanx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest hunting down Aleo's guide to help you get a start with a general strategy. I think the guide is fine for that type of initial 'getting started' approach. But you also MUST learn tournament theory, which is an enormous part of making cash money dollars.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Do a search on a guy called "the shadow." He posted a great collection of links that will help you "how to," including Aleo's guide.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:39 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...art=1&vc=1
Old 04-24-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't avoid playing because you're afraid of losing... If you wanted to be a good soccer player, do you think it would be wise to stop playing while you read some books? Instead of going to the movies this weekend, drop $25 into UB and practice at the $1 tables.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't avoid playing because you're afraid of losing... If you wanted to be a good soccer player, do you think it would be wise to stop playing while you read some books? Instead of going to the movies this weekend, drop $25 into UB and practice at the $1 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i just want to have some sort of knowledge before i go into things. like i said in my original post, i seem to do fine until it gets 4/5-handed. then my bets are more or less, random as well as my hand decisions. i am "practicing" with play money at PokerStars right now. not exactly "like the real thing", but it's a start.

thanx for the link.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Conservative -> Aggressive

Play very conservative until the blinds get to 50/100 (AA-QQ,AK, AQ/AJs in LP). At 10/15 blinds you can limp on speculatives. Then start stealing blinds at 50/100 (you may be able to do it for a minraise at this level, once they go to 100/200 you should be going all in preflop most of the time. Unless you've already doubled up. Basically you base you preflop all in on wether it is less then 8-9BB.

A note on SB play. If you get folded to and are in the SB and either of your stacks are only 5xBB it pays to go all-in with any two (caveats exist here I don't have time). If you have an ace then it pays to go all in with 8-9xBB.

When HU at the end these rules will hold for almost any hand. You will find yourself going all-in a majority of hands HU assuming the blinds are around 250/500 or 300/600.