Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Bowling questions

So I went bowling tonight with some friends, as we usually do on weekends, and I bowled my usual 140.

I admit that I am a crappy bowler.

There were excellent bowlers on both sides of us tonight, and they both had sick spin on their shots.

I don't really know how to add spin on mine. I just throw it straight down the lane, and I end up with a lot of 7-9 splits, etc, but I am usually pretty good at converting spare opportunities.

Well for our last game tonight, I tried adding some spin to my ball. I walked up to the lane and I released it from the right side of the lane(I bowl right-handed). As I released it, I twisted my wrist 180 degrees and had my palm facing the lane as I released the ball. The ball was spinning around in a circle as it traveled along the right side of the lane. It did start to break towards the center about 5 feet before it hit the 3 pin. I found that it was much easier to get strikes this way.

So on to the questions:

Am I adding spin to the ball the correct way?

How does spin affect the speed of the ball? I have never seen someone break 200 in a game without having spin on their ball, and I've never broken 170 having no spin.

Comments from good bowlers(those who consistently break 200) would be appreciated
Old 04-24-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Bowling questions

You don't need "sick spin" to score well. It is easier to strike with a hook. If you don't have a hook, you will often find that the ball deflects off the head pin, leaving the five standing. This hook is only helpful in a few spare situations. Even without a good hook, you should be able to score in the 160s if you are willing to learn and practice good spare technique.

If you are inclined toward book-learning, Par Bowling by Thomas Kouros is pretty good.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:29 AM

Thanks for your reply. I can already score 160 occasionally. I average about 20 points below that and am good at converting the 5, 7 and 10 pins when I leave them up, for example.

But what is the main ingredient that I need to crack 200?

And could you tell me what a hook is? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:29 AM

Dont hold the ball like a suitcase. At the bottom of your downswing, the fingers should be at the bottom and your hand behind the ball. At release, the thumb comes out first, then you lift and roll it off your fingers. Don't spin the ball, roll it. You will get some hook naturally. Follow through as if you are going to shake someone's hand. Dont rotate the wrist to the right as you release, or you will throw a reverse hook, also called a backup ball.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the advice Tim.

When I tried spinning it, I was throwing it from the right side of the lane, and twisting my wrist to the left by 180 degrees. The ball spun all the way down the lane and then broke in sharply.

Ok, I think I have been confusing hook with spin. The guys next to me had a lot of HOOK on their throws. The ball would skate down the left or the right side of the lane and then break in sharply, but they didn't really have a lot of spin on theirs.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:35 AM

Dead:

I really, really hate your icon. Would you be willing to change it? In exchange I will accept $20 on Party.

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In exchange I will accept $20 on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

ou want me to pay you if I change my icon? Are you retarded? Don't answer.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:36 AM

Yes, I do.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But what is the main ingredient that I need to crack 200?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like most things worth doing, there isn't a "main thing" you need to do. You should be converting almost all your one-pin spares. This is simple technique. Consider missing one of these one pin spares to be like dropping a routine fly ball. You should develop a natural spare ball motion, and you should know exactly what to expect from it. Adjusting to different spares should simply be a matter of starting in a different spot on the lane and rolling over a different arrow.

The smartass answer to "what do I need to crack 200" is "A hook."

[ QUOTE ]
And could you tell me what a hook is? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

A hook breaks relatively close to the pins. You want the ball to enter the pocket at an angle. You have probably noticed that if you throw straight down the middle and hit the head pin dead on, you will get many splits. You want to come in on an angle.

The short and dirty explanation on how to throw a hook is to start with your thumb in roughly the ten o'clock position (assuming that you are right handed). You do not need to twist your wrist. Your thumb will exit the ball first, and then your fingers will apply the hook to the ball.

Once you are comfortable with your "strike delivery", and you can repeat the motion successfully, you can alter your starting position or the arrow that you bowl over in order to figure out your optimal path.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:55 AM

I understand it better now.

Thanks.