Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 AM

Default A Different Spin on Iraq

This question is designed primarily for those who opposed the war.

My question is, would you have supported the war if Bush had argured for war using the argument that the Iraqis were opressed people rather than saying that Saddam was a threat?

I'm sure everyone has heard the stories about Saddam gassing the Kurds and Udday torturing Olympic athletes and political enemies. Would the United States have been more justified in fighting a war to elimate a brutal dictator who posed a threat to his own people rather than one who possibly might threaten another country?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: A Different Spin on Iraq

Bush screwed up big time. All you have to do is throw around the word "genocide" and the American left will suddenly feel the need to bomb someone. Witness the alacrity with which they supported bombing Serbia/Bosna/wherever that hellhole is and witness the current agitation for military intervention in Sudan. They left LOVES to bomb people as much as the right, you just need to use the word "genocide" first.

natedogg
Old 04-22-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, would you have supported the war if Bush had argured for war using the argument that the Iraqis were opressed people rather than saying that Saddam was a threat?

I'm sure everyone has heard the stories about Saddam gassing the Kurds and Udday torturing Olympic athletes and political enemies. Would the United States have been more justified in fighting a war to elimate a brutal dictator who posed a threat to his own people rather than one who possibly might threaten another country?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not trust his words, so his rhetoric would not matter to me.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
witness the current agitation for military intervention in Sudan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something? Ive been playin ALOT of poker lately and spending time with my new labtop....

Seriously is there a serious movement underfoot to take up arms in the Sudan?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously is there a serious movement underfoot to take up arms in the Sudan?

[/ QUOTE ]
See thatpfunk's thread asking why we aren't in Sudan.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which immediately disqualifies any opinion you could possibly have on the subject. People like you just bug the hell out of me.

"Its George Bush, so I don't believe anything he says."

Idiot. (Then again, you're not from here...most of us voted for him anyways, so you can see how things work)
Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which immediately disqualifies any opinion you could possibly have on the subject. People like you just bug the hell out of me.

"Its George Bush, so I don't believe anything he says."

Idiot. (Then again, you're not from here...most of us voted for him anyways, so you can see how things work)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the right to choose in whom I trust without being called an idiot. I guess more than 50% of the world don't trust him, so you call the majority of world population idiots?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you pretend this was before you did not trust him.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you pretend this was before you did not trust him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might have supported it actually.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 AM

I would not have supported it at that time, on the grounds that Saddam was severely weakened and not in a position to commit the sort of large scale atrocities he had before, making the cost so the war too high relative to the benefits, and given that the massive resources used to fight the war could have been far more beneficially used elsewhere.

I would however quite possibly have supported an intervention during the Anfal campaign against the Kurds, which could have saved tens of thousands of lives, assuming the figures for the death toll there are accurate and assuming that no other measures would have stopped him (none were tried).