Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Pope

I personally believe that the pope is a horrible individual. He has condemmed the use of condoms. Great, lets increase the spread of AIDS in third world countries.

Also, his philosophy includes discrimination. The pope has condemned homosexuality, and refused to grant equal rights to women.

A person with such a great influence on others should not take such harmful positions.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Pope

[ QUOTE ]
He has condemmed the use of condoms.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought this has always been the Catholic Church's position. So how does that make this Pope horrible?

[ QUOTE ]
The pope has condemned homosexuality

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, I was under the impression that this was the Catholic Church's position.

[ QUOTE ]
and refused to grant equal rights to women.

[/ QUOTE ]
Such as...?

[ QUOTE ]
A person with such a great influence on others should not take such harmful positions.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not like these are new positions...
Old 04-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Since you clearly don't understand the traditions of the Catholic religion, it would probably be better if you just shut up.

Condemned condom use - tradition. Birth control is looked down upon highly in the strict Catholic religion, especially considering sex is supposed to be saved for marriage, and for the main purpose of procreation.

Homosexuality - same tradition thing.

Women - what? Just says they shouldn't be priests...which again...tradition...

He's not out there to make everybody happy. He's the head of the Catholic Church and follows its teachings. Do some research before talking out your ass.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:20 PM

As a Dr. I'd like to offer a preliminary diagnosis to this person's condition; acute Popeaphobia.

With group therapy and some Hail Marys I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but my impression is that the whole system there is based on the assumption that he was given those positions by the church, and told that's the way it is. And that the church was given those rules by God, and told that's the way it is.

A church isn't a country club, where the members can change the rules through a majority vote. If you belong to a church, you believe that the church is teaching the word of God. If you want a vote on the positions, fine, but God's got 51% of the votes.

I am not a Catholic. I used to be, but I don't believe in all of the teachings of the Church. Anyone who says that they are a Catholic and but that they don't believe in all the teachings of the Church is wrong. By definition, they are not Catholics. Period.

They may have been born and raised Catholic, they may still go to church on Sunday, but they are not Catholics. Wake up and go find a church you can believe in. Or stop going to church. Show some guts and quit whining about the Pope. It's like whining about the referee because you don't like the rules of football. They aren't going to change the rules for you. It's football. If you don't like football, go watch rugby.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:37 PM

the things you talk about are from the old and new testament, not the pope. You should direct your complaints to judeo-christian religions; it is unfair to single out the pope.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:46 PM

Ben,

Good post, you display a better understanding of what it means to be Catholic than do some Catholics.

It seems to come as a shock to many that the new Pope espouses Catholic views.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has condemmed the use of condoms.
The pope has condemned homosexuality, and refused to grant equal rights to women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, me and the Pope have a lot in common.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:23 AM

Ok, so its Catholic Church that has inhumane views, whatever. I don't believe that you can lump all Christian religions into this category, although pretty much all. Some allow women preachers for example.

Even though a lot of the pope's views come from church doctrine, there is defintely a little bit of a variation in terms of the views of the papal candidates. Some are more conservative then others. From what I've heard from reliable news sources, think CNN, not foxs news, this particular candidate is more conservative than some of the other candidates.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally believe that the pope is a horrible individual. He has condemmed the use of condoms. Great, lets increase the spread of AIDS in third world countries.

Also, his philosophy includes discrimination. The pope has condemned homosexuality, and refused to grant equal rights to women.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Pope is a horrible individual because he's Catholic?