Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Hitchhiker\'s Guide to the Galaxy

Should I read all of them before I see the movie, or just the first one? Any word on how good the movie is expected to be?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Hitchhiker\'s Guide to the Galaxy

[ QUOTE ]
Should I read all of them before I see the movie, or just the first one? Any word on how good the movie is expected to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

The books are incredible. Whether you read them before or after the movie is not of importance. Just read them.

I am cautiously optimistic that the movie will be good.

But let me reiterate... the books are the [censored] nuts.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 PM

it's way too early to really tell but the reviews are all favorable so far. if you dont know the site check out rottentomatoes.com it's a composite of all the reviews that a movie receives and they give the movie one rating based on them. very helpful to judge the quality based on that.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Yeah seriously the books are hilarious, read them. Whatever about the movie, it will probably suck.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 PM

Yeah, I just started Stranger in a Strange Land last night. As soon as I'm done with that, I'll get started on the Hitchhiker (non)trilogy.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 PM

SiaSL is a good book. For all you Hitchhiker fans- have you read the books recently, or is it just fond memories? I recently read the first one for the first time and was unimpressed. Mildly amusing, but not the nerd nirvana I had been led to expect lo these many years. And before you posit that I just don't understand/like British humor, Probably half of my fav all time shows are British sitcoms.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SiaSL is a good book. For all you Hitchhiker fans- have you read the books recently, or is it just fond memories? I recently read the first one for the first time and was unimpressed. Mildly amusing, but not the nerd nirvana I had been led to expect lo these many years. And before you posit that I just don't understand/like British humor, Probably half of my fav all time shows are British sitcoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, read it recently, I really enjoy the type of humor and writing, as it's very similar to my writing style.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:44 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i don't see how it's ever advantageous to read the book before seeing the movie
Old 04-21-2005, 01:19 AM

You should read the first one. Then you will either be done with the series and not even really want to see the movie, or you will be coming up with excuses to read the other four as soon as possible.

Not everyone's humor, but most certainly mine, and my favorite movie is the Big Lebowski.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read them as recently as last year, and I've read each one at least 5 times.

You gain a further appreciation by reading at least the first three... the first on its own doesn't have the same impact.