Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 02:57 PM

Default What is my responsibility here?

A month ago I bought some tropical (live) fish on a site similar to ebay but for tropical fish. I got them last week completing the transaction.

Today when I woke up there was a package shipped to my address from the same guy. Apparently he meant to ship some fish to a dude named Dan but mistakenly used my address.

The cost of the fish was $45 and the shipping was $27. I don't like these type of fish (guppies) and would never buy them for my tanks.

The fish are still sitting in their unopened bags. If DHL were to return for the package they could be shipped. However, it is unlikely they would survive another 24 hours in the bags. If opened I do not have the capacity to repack them properly.

I sent the shipper an email notifying him of his mistake.

What is my responsibility here to the shipper and monetarily if I were to end up keeping them. If they are not picked back up by UPS by the end of the day and are facing death?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: What is my responsibility here?

i dont think you have any responsibility here. i think if you get a response quick enough, and he wants to attempt a pick up, let him do it. if he doesnt get back to you soon enough, i think you can keep them if you want, as there is no sense in letting them die. if you dont want them, then you could just let them die.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think you have any responsibility here. i think if you get a response quick enough, and he wants to attempt a pick up, let him do it. if he doesnt get back to you soon enough, i think you can keep them if you want, as there is no sense in letting them die. if you dont want them, then you could just let them die.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM

Pull their feeding tubes.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:23 PM

*Flush*
Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM

There are two options as I see it:

1: If the fish are big enough, cook them and eat them
2: If they are teeny tiny, throw a big party and make your friends drink shots with a live guppie in them.

Swede
Old 04-19-2005, 03:28 PM

That is what I was thinking. I am not going let them die but on my own I would not ever buy these fish regadless of price and would probably even turn them down for free.

I will also check to see how close the intended recipent is, perhaps he can just come get them.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:30 PM

is there a pet store nearby that might at least give you a few bucks for them, that you could pass on to the guy to mitigate his mistake a little, or maybe they'll just take them off your hands for free so at least the fish don't die?

WORST SENTENCE EVER.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a pet store nearby that might at least give you a few bucks for them, that you could pass on to the guy to mitigate his mistake a little, or maybe they'll just take them off your hands for free so at least the fish don't die?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good idea. I would think I can get 1/3rd which would at least cover the shipping.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:44 PM

i think you have a responsibility not to let them die. granted they're only guppies and you got them by mistake and don't want them but they're alive and you have the ability to keep them alive so letting them die would be wrong. a pet store would definitely take them and many will even give you a store credit in return, although for 2 guppies it would be a very small amount.