Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Best and worst day to play SnG\'s?

I don't have a huge sample size ~150 SnG's, but from this limited sample I only have one day with a negative -30% ROI and it's a Saturday (wtf)? My best day is Tuesday +60% ROI. My overall ROI is 38% at the $11's FWIW.

Anyway just curious to see if anyone has any "real" data that would support the weekends being the fishiest and the weekdays the tightest.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Best and worst day to play SnG\'s?

If the theory is that weaker players are free to play on weekends, then weekday evenings should also tend to be softer, say from 8:00 Eastern and later. Does anybody see this?

GG
Old 04-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Honestly, 150 SNGs is incredibly small. You can't expect to get anything statistically significant out of that sample size. You'll need at least a couple thousand, in my opinion, to be even able to ballpark anything.

I wouldn't look too deeply into that. Time of day is also a strong consideration. The general thought process is that during the day, competition is a little stiffer. I agree it's weird that your Saturday numbers are lower, but I'd wait until you get a remotely reasonable number of tournaments under your belt before reading into the numbers too much.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Sorry didn't see this thread which also covers the topic: Party Weekend tightness
Old 04-19-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the theory is that weaker players are free to play on weekends, then weekday evenings should also tend to be softer, say from 8:00 Eastern and later. Does anybody see this?

GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, until you get to higher limits. Then the difference isn't nearly as high.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:09 PM

With the wild play on the weekends I could see how you would have those results with such a shallow sample size.

Less experienced players are much more willing to call and go all in with small pocket pairs and A10,AJ,AQ, KQ.

For example this weekend I went through a stetch where I reraised to 250 with AA to have the initial raiser come over the top with 66. He hit his 6.

I then had someone raise 175 in level 1 in front of me while I was holding KK. I put them all in and they called with AJ. He hit his A.

I think I had 8 or so hands like this on Sunday, and I wanted them to call in every instance but the % just didn't go in my favor. I know they will even out as there will always be fish going all in with 44 UTG in level 2 or calling an all in with A10 off suit. That's how i make money.

On the weekends I feel I am gambeling it up more than I am on the weedays were I feel I'm playing some resemblance of post flop for the first 3 levels anyways.

On the weekends I'm just setting my traps and hoping they hold up when the fish come barreling into them.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:14 PM

no real data, but typically i run good during the week and either play bad or get bad beat up on the weekends.

it's odd.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 PM

use the search function, this had been addressed before.

conventional wisdom says the casual (re:bad) players play more on Friday and Saturday. i have gotten to the point in my life where i no longer believe conventional wisdom without numbers to back it up, so i neither believe or disbelieve this assertion. I do, however, find it believable.