Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 10:11 AM

Default KK, your move here?

Party $22

Play the same or different from this?
Raise more PF next time? (but I didn't just want to steal the blinds)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 (t965)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t735)
MP3 (t1105)
CO (t760)
Button (t635)
SB (t740)
BB (t725)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t735)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (t172.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t250</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t547.50
Old 04-17-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: KK, your move here?

I play the same. I don't think he's raising with anything you can beat. If you go over the top he'll probably push and nine times out of ten show you crap like A-rag or QTs. Good fold.
EDIT: I don't mind the raise amount PF, it depends how tight the table is of course. If I thought people would call I'd raise to 80 or 100.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:57 AM

Did he call PF with something you can beat, and then bluff? If so, he's wasting his time in the 22's. He almost certainly had an ace and/or a ten, and you were right to fold.

GG
Old 04-17-2005, 11:13 AM

You know my opinion already. I'd bet 90 here and probably get all my chips in if an Ace doesn't fall.

On the flop, I think I'd bet 150. This may be nitpicking but I think a smallish bet might encourage someone to make a play on you. Throw in an extra 25 and make them think you have AK.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:30 AM

Agreed. In these low buy-in SNGs, you get a lot of chasers who don't respect a small raise. I think go up til 90 or 100. You'll still probably get the caller who had a small heart attack when he saw A2s and you'll still have to fold this board, but at least you minimized the chances of that happening.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. In these low buy-in SNGs, you get a lot of chasers who don't respect a small raise. I think go up til 90 or 100. You'll still probably get the caller who had a small heart attack when he saw A2s and you'll still have to fold this board, but at least you minimized the chances of that happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with the 90-100 level 1 raise is that it screams to the table that you have a monster. But since the good players will only call a raise with a solid hand and the bad players don't care, I guess it doesn't matter much.

I know I have folded a bunch of TT-JJ for the 100 raise from a solid player. And I have never seen anything but AA-QQ, AK in that spot.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with the 90-100 level 1 raise is that it screams to the table that you have a monster. But since the good players will only call a raise with a solid hand and the bad players don't care, I guess it doesn't matter much.

I know I have folded a bunch of TT-JJ for the 100 raise from a solid player. And I have never seen anything but AA-QQ, AK in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing the PP 22s, you can't base your strategy on how good players would react.

Bet 100, type "I have KK" in the chat box, and get called by A2s.

If they happen to fold, it's not because all the players are good. It's because the 4 morons at the table didn't get dealt anything sooted nor did either of their cards have a pretty picture on them.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Preflop I play this the same. On the flop I check/fold and cry like a biotch the whole way. Regarding the size of your preflop raise. I think it's ok. You wanted a call and you got one. So becareful what you wish for. In hindsight maybe a $80 raise is better you'll have a better idea what you are up against on the flop and save a little money.

SAM
Old 04-17-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing the PP 22s, you can't base your strategy on how good players would react.

Bet 100, type "I have KK" in the chat box, and get called by A2s.

If they happen to fold, it's not because all the players are good. It's because the 4 morons at the table didn't get dealt anything sooted nor did either of their cards have a pretty picture on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have changed my play due to a comment from Phil. He responded to a post a few months ago where I raised about 60 with QQ during level 1. I have now changed my standard raise to beeing 85 during level 1. I still gets lots of callers both in the 20 and 30 dollar SNG's. Thank you Phil.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:58 PM

is pushing KK pre-flop to wild? i did it the other day and of course got called by a moron uncapable of laying down AK( of course he sucked out but thats another story)