Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Default AK preflop: call 1/3 of my stack, push or fold?

$11 SNG. Is this a fold or all-in situation for me? Or is there justification for putting 1/3 of my stack in play and hoping to see a flop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

UTG (t1520)
MP1 (t1850)
MP2 (t1755)
Hero (t935)
Button (t485)
SB (t935)
BB (t520)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t325</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero ???
Old 04-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: AK preflop: call 1/3 of my stack, push or fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Or is there justification for putting 1/3 of my stack in play and hoping to see a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you plan to fold if you miss the flop and he bets out.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:45 AM

Push.

Most of the time, I think you will take it right there. If he calls, you probably have a coinflip, or if he's loose, you dominate him. The t400 chips in the pot justify this gamble. If he has AA or KK, you should concentrate on being luckier next time. JMHO

Folding seems too weak-tight, and calling leaves him in charge, and also might give the three players behind you a shot at drawing out on you.

GG
Old 04-17-2005, 10:49 AM

Plus that seems like too much of a raise for AA or KK.

I would guess JJ or QQ as a possible hand maybe? Tough call. 3 choices. Call the raise then push on the flop no matter what, or fold PF or push PF.

Tough decision.

EDIT, oh wait it is the $11s, I guess AJ as the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 11:02 AM

Hehe. I just played a 22$. First hand someone makes a crazy overbet to 350 preflop. I have AK and push. He has KQ. Might add he got the Q on the river.

The moral of the story. Luck &gt; skill
Old 04-17-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there justification for putting 1/3 of my stack in play and hoping to see a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 04-17-2005, 11:30 AM

What do you do here, push PF?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

You can't just call because you will not be first act on the flop.

If the hero were SB/BB, a stop-and-go would be possible, but I'd still push and try to get him to fold preflop.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I called, the called his push on the flop when the board produced 9-8-7 rainbow. I thought about pushing, but he would have been getting more than 2-1 to call at that point, so I figured if he had any minimal understanding of odds (I know, I know, a big if at this level), he would call. Plus, my read was that he was not going to fold to a push. I felt more comfortable calling and pushing the flop if he checked. As it turned out, he had 10-10, and pushed the flop. So I called, and that was that. No help on the turn and the river. I don't know if that was winning thinking, but that is how I analyzed it at the time.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I called, the called his push on the flop when the board produced 9-8-7 rainbow. I thought about pushing, but he would have been getting more than 2-1 to call at that point, so I figured if he had any minimal understanding of odds (I know, I know, a big if at this level), he would call. Plus, my read was that he was not going to fold to a push. I felt more comfortable calling and pushing the flop if he checked. As it turned out, he had 10-10, and pushed the flop. So I called, and that was that. No help on the turn and the river. I don't know if that was winning thinking, but that is how I analyzed it at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically you called and planned to get the rest of your chips in on the flop no matter what. The problem with this plan is that he will get off cheaply if you are ahead, but you lose your stack if you are behind.

Let's say an Ace flopped, the guy with TT is going to check/fold. You have left it up to him if he wants to put the rest of his stack in, and he'll probably only do it if he is ahead.

When you have a hand like AK, you need to flop an A or K. Once an A or K flops, everyone sees it and you won't be getting any action. If you had JJ, your play might have made more sense.

Alternatively, he could have had AJ like IC5 guessed. If the flop is 987, he's probably going to check/fold and you don't maximize your profit.