Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Default A classic situation...

I'm new to the table, and these situations always frustrate me...

Thoughts?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) converter

Garland ($395)
SB ($425.20)
BB ($325.90)
UTG ($188)
UTG+1 ($614.60)
MP1 ($369.20)
MP2 ($289.50)
MP3 ($312.50)
CO ($209)

Preflop: Garland is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $4.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $4, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $16, MP3 calls $16.

Flop: ($66) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $49</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $98</font>, MP3 folds, Garland ????,
Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: A classic situation...

If I'm new to the table and have absolutely no idea who this guy is, I think it's a fold. Not many turn cards are going to be good for you.

If it's someone min-raising with a hand like AQ or AJ... well... we all know what eventually happens to those when you flop a set and they stack off for you. Of course it was a min-CHECK-raise. This guy wants to build a pot.

It would suck though if he made that play with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and took it away from you.

I try to think about these a bit more though. Lets say you get to the turn. What's your plan if:

A) an ace comes?
B) a diamond comes?
C) a king comes?
D) a 2 or a 3 comes?
E) A total blank (say, 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

Still given this specific set of circumstances, I think I fold and keep a close eye on this guy to see how he plays future pots. I'm definitely not raising here. I guess you could call, and see what he does on the turn but with no reads... I dunno. Some of this is probably my personal preference to avoid big pots my first few hands at a table unless I have a huge hand.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Yarr.... this is no fun matey.

What sucks is that you have no reads, and no way to get a read on this kid. However, since he's new and also has no read on you, he's less inclined to get tricky in a spot like this. A hand like AQ or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] may be probing at you to see if you're playing KK or QQ or if you really do have the AK that you're representing. So I would say his range here is something like 44, 55, AJ, AQ, A9d+.

Folding is too weak IMO. You're beating many hands and this would be a nice pot to take down. A set is probably taking your money, but you want to take a bunch of money off of a worse Ace. You could push the flop, but I think all but sets and Axd run away. I would call the flop, and probably get all in on a safe turn card (he'll likely lead out for 70 or so). If the turn brings a diamond.... well, then you might want to get out, as you're running out of hands to beat.

Rough spot, but thats my 2 cents.

-Kings
Old 04-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Y'know, I always forget that little part.. that they have no reads on me either then.

The min check-raise concerns me but I could definitely see a big ace doing this as well. I agree it's a really rough spot. Making the right choice here is what can make the difference between a middling session and a nice one.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:23 PM

I hate these situations so much. And I always seem to find myself in them early in a session as well when I have no read.

Here are your options:

1) Call the minraise and:
a) Intend to get all in if no diamond hits the turn
b) Intend to call down regardless of cards
c) Represent the flush yourself if it hits the turn and opponent checks

2) Push flop right there and then

3) Make it $200 straight and see what villian does. Obviously you're in deep [censored] if he calls the raise to $200.

4) Fold and choose and better battle to fight.

Damn tough situation bro. It's an extremely read-dependent situation and we have no read. This is why some suggest watching the table for 30 mins before sitting and playing. But we all know as poker players we dont have the patience for that.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:27 PM

So what'd you do. You have results?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Move in. you hold a diamond and he might have AJ AQ ect. You raised if he has a set pay him off it happens from time to time. I dont see my self folding there at least call and check the turn to see how he acts. However i suspect villian is on a draw or weaker ace. How did it turn out?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:25 PM

I would reraise here. He may have A-anything and just think it is good (you may bet with big pair here). I think most people (but I play lower limits) are just calling here with 2pairs/sets. He may have flush draw and just trying to win it now. So odds are you have the best hand. I would probably fold if got reraised again.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably fold if got reraised again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note with the current stack sizes, if I re-raise the check-raiser, I would be pot-commited.

Garland
Old 04-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Against an unknown, I will often call, fold to a bet on the turn or check behind and then call the river or check the river. I think people make this move too often with a flush draw to fold here. I at least want them to know that they are going to have to follow it up with a turn bet to get me to fold so that when I have AA here I make a killing from their flop raise and turn bet. The reason why I don't like a re-raise or a turn bet if checked to is because they often make this move with a set, too, and you are dangerously close to pot committal. I just want to see a cheap showdown here. If the flush hits, I might get out no matter how the betting goes, but if he doesn't bet until the river and the flush doesn't hit, then I have to call since I may have induced a bluff from the flush draw on the river.