Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 PM

Default When do you push?

At what blind/stack size ratio do you decide it's time to make a desperate push?
Old 04-16-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: When do you push?

Depends on Chip sizes, starting chip sizes, reads on opponents, position & more. Post some hands...
Old 04-16-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: When do you push?

It's hard to quantify desperate. If you've gotten to that stage, you may have waited too long.

Commonly people speak of starting to push to maintain(or increase) folding equity at anywhere from 10 to 5 big blinds. If the blinds are about to increase on you such that they take 1/3 of your stack, you'll only be left with a 1 BB raise, which may not push a lot of stacks out, and you're at the point where you have to start shoving people out of pots unless you get very very lucky and get killer cards. So 6 BB seems somewhere around the time where if you don't start pushing, you won't be able to be very threatening with pushes very soon, and all that shoving your chips in the middle will do is just contribute to a pot you have to actually win by showdown.

I'm just a SNG newbie myself, but that' what I figure. If you're getting down to 6 BB, one round of blinds is going to virtually cripple your folding equity. I'm not sure if others agree with that figure; I know some people don't.