Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Feel free to trash me as much as you like...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB

I had no reads on the big blind. If there were any other players in the pot, I would cap it preflop, but against one player I decided to get a little tricky.

So here was my reasoning. If I capped preflop, BB is correctly gonna put me on a monster hand. If he has a big pocket pair, He'll probably call me down. But, If I don't cap preflop and then wait till the turn to raise I get an extra small bet out of him (assuming he calls me down, and doesn't improve). Also, if I cap preflop and he has AK or AQ I'm not going to make a lot of money off of him if he doesn't improve. Instead, if I let him lead the hand he will be putting the bets in and my hand is disguised until I raise on the turn or river.

The only other concern I have with this hand is with my turn play. Was I too aggressive by 3betting there?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Feel free to trash me as much as you like...

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I generally mix it up and cap sometimes, call sometimes. I also do the same w/ KK,QQ and AKs when HU.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:58 PM

Not capping preflop isn't awful IMO, but I rarely do it especially against an unknown.

On the turn the only reasonable hand you're behind is KK, so 3bet for sure. This was kind of the whole point by only calling preflop to make some extra bets here.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 PM

Just cap preflop. Make sure you do it with AK AQs KK etc. etc.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-15-2005, 02:10 PM

In situations where it is going to be heads up, calling is great for deception. I believe you will get more bets in situations like this from AK,KK,QQ,JJ, and TT. If it wasn't heads up I would cap.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn the only reasonable hand you're behind is KK, so 3bet for sure. This was kind of the whole point by only calling preflop to make some extra bets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

By 3-betting, Hero basically limits himself to one BB on the river. What about calling the turn raise, with the intention of leading the river and 3-betting the raise?

That would nab an extra BB as long as an Ace doesn't fall.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Most people are reluctant to raise the river without goods. I like the turn.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about calling the turn raise, with the intention of leading the river and 3-betting the raise?

That would nab an extra BB as long as an Ace doesn't fall.

[/ QUOTE ]
He said he has no read. I'm not so sure an unknown will raise a stop-and-go'd river and then call a 3-bet with something we beat. He is ahead of everything except KK on this turn, and the opponent will most likely call-down heads up, so I take the 2BB.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:17 PM

btw, hero can't lead the river; he's in position.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people are reluctant to raise the river without goods. I like the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I see where this is going. Hero was just check/raised on the turn. If Hero calls, Villian will lead the river and only call a raise, equalling the same number of bets as when Hero 3-bets the turn and then bets the river.