Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 11:03 AM

Default TPTK. Villian waking up on river.

Villian is 17/2.5 after 100 hands. No reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

BB ($111.65)
UTG ($126.4)
UTG+1 ($67.65)
Hero ($111.25)
MP2 ($183.38)
CO ($113.35)
Button ($102)
SB ($108.67)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $4.

Flop: ($11.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG+1 calls $8.

Turn: ($27.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG+1 calls $20.

River: ($67.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian pushes for $34 Hero.....?

Final Pot: $67.50
Old 04-15-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: TPTK. Villian waking up on river.

I'm guessing that you have played against the villian before and you just don't remember. If so, he may have hit his TT set and has seen you overplay TPTK.

Just a guess,
Mike L.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 PM

With no reads, I think you have to fold on the river. He's saying he can beat top pair. I think you have to give him credit for that until you get a feel for his play. Save your money and hope he shows his cards so you can make a note.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:59 PM

He didn't show, but he made a comment afterwards that bugged me, "I guess you didn't have the ace". don't know what to make of it.

BTW, I folded if it wasn't clear.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't show, but he made a comment afterwards that bugged me, "I guess you didn't have the ace". don't know what to make of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it means he was hoping you had the ace and that you'd make the call. I think you thoroughly disappointed him by making a good laydown.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:36 PM

The call, call, push/raise pattern indicates a strong hand 9 times from ten. Annoying but you've lost.

Nice laydown
Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 PM

Does anyone else think that villain might just be trying to create fequity since he knows he is going to call any river bet anyways?

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Initially, I planned on saying that you need to fold this river. After going through what he could have, I am less sure.

As others have said, his line indicated tremendous strength (probably acquired on the flop) a high % of the time. The exception is a tricky opponent capable of pushing on a missed flush... notes/reads are key here.

Here's the issue: he limped in EP PF, and then just called your $5 raise. To me, this says he has one of three types of hands: middle s00ted connectors, small or medium pocket pair, or Axs. Personally, I think the latter two are most likely here, with A4s, 44, 8d7d, JTs, T9s being top contenders. *EDIT* he could have KK/QQ intending to jam the flop or the turn, but wussed out when the ace fell... not that likely, though, but I do see this from time to time.*

His turn check-call is seriously suspicious, and I find myself in your same shoes on the river quite a bit not knowing where I stand with TPTK. A lot of the time I lead out for 30% of the pot and get minraised -- usually for value by an opponent who knows he's ahead and that I probably need to call.

Now in this case, you have position, so it changes some things. What happens if he lead-checks the river? You would seem likely to check behind, which he seems to want to avoid. The question is whether he wants to avoid the check-behind because he's got a loser and wants the pot, or because he has a winner and he wants some more value out of it. Either way, you're getting 3:1 on a call, and the read on your opponent (esp. his aggression factor and VP$IP) will help you decide if that's a good price or not. Against a 40/15/3 I'm calling. Against a 15/5/1, I'm folding.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that villain might just be trying to create fequity since he knows he is going to call any river bet anyways?

-Trail

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so in this case, but this is something I need to do more myself. Interesting concept.