Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 11:00 AM

Default When Do you Give Up?

One-on-one against a total fish - Is there a point where I should have just given up and called?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: When Do you Give Up?

When he checkraises me on the river. You went one bridge too far.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When he checkraises me on the river. You went one bridge too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought.

The fish isn't check-raising the river with a set or two-pair here, it's time to simmer down.

-d
Old 04-15-2005, 11:20 AM

don't 3 bet river
Old 04-15-2005, 11:22 AM

Hmm, I think you've got to cap it all the way. One one hand beats you, the nut flush and he'd to have two cards. I've seen a lot of fish cap out with trips and lower flushes and even just 2-pair.

Given you posted at all, you probably got hosed, but I think the range of hands likely in this situation you're going to win more than 50% of the time so cap it.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:27 AM

Fish are passive, non-tricky players. The fish got the cap in on the turn and if that fish leads the river then I think there's merit to betting 4 bets in. However, that checkraise on the end should be a BIG warning siren. Fish don't play that tricky w/o the pure nuts.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 PM

A fish will never cap with a hand you beat, so you win 1 if ahead, lose 2 if behind. You need to be good 2/3s of the time to 3-bet the river. Given the read and the action, I think it's quite a bit less than that. Do you really think he's popping the Ten-high flush that hard? 2-pair? Set?

Much of the time a fish will check the turn when a flush card comes, even with a set -- this aggression is telling me that he's a moron or he's got the nuts. Personally, while there are quite a few morons out there, if that's the only way i'm ahead, i'm calling and showing down.

-d
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't 3 bet river

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-15-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I think you've got to cap it all the way. One one hand beats you, the nut flush and he'd to have two cards. I've seen a lot of fish cap out with trips and lower flushes and even just 2-pair.

Given you posted at all, you probably got hosed, but I think the range of hands likely in this situation you're going to win more than 50% of the time so cap it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is spewery. Look at it this way: We've got the K and Q of hearts. The J is on the board. So this guy either has a T-high flush or the A-high flush. Which hand is he more likely to check-raise the river with after the turn gets capped? Do you think he can't see 3 hearts on the board? That's all fish look for -- flushes.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't 3 bet river

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]